Thursday, October 11, 2018

Hostage-Taking

I had a ridiculously non-productive day yesterday, thinking I'd go home after driving my son to school and taking a nap because I felt horribly tired. But I could never wind down enough to actually sleep and so in fact, other than scour the neighborhood for a last-minute request from my son the day before (for a top hat for a school project), I didn't get anything done. Except witness the dog wolf down a bowl of chicken gizzards, ground turkey and rice and then later barf it all up. At least he can keep the white bread down. I think the gizzards are too hard for him to digest now, so I give him canned tuna later on in the day. He eats that and saltines without any issue although he has trouble staying in a standing position. When he falls back onto his haunches, two perfectly round brown nuggets of poop roll out from under his butt. Sigh.

By the way, the Spirit Halloween pop-up shops that dotted the landscape for the past several years have all but disappeared. My guess is that they lost too much money and have restrained themselves by relying on internet sales. There are no shops in our county, and I'm not willing to drive all the way to Danbury for a prop. Rumors of a pop-up shop at the old Toys R Us were just that -- rumors. Not even the local mall, with all its store vacancies, had anything other than the threat of the Sears filing for bankruptcy. I did find the top hat though, at a Spencer's that caters to novelty T-shirts and caps. It appears to be the only store carrying Halloween costumes, makeup and props. (Not coincidentally, Spencer's is one of the parent companies of Spirit Halloween.) Whew.

Oddly, since I had my bad tooth pulled, my right eye has really felt irritated, with stinging eyelid and itchy eyeball. I suspect the odd burning soreness, where the doc originally injected the nerve block on the side of my eye three weeks ago, is just referred pain. Referred pain is pain from another source than where it is currently felt. So the area surrounding my eye might just be a reaction from the tooth extraction. Or not. Or maybe, since it's not humanly possible to focus on more than one sensation at a time, the tooth was a distraction and now that it's gone, well...

I've been alternating using the disposable dog diapers I ordered from Amazon a few weeks ago, with the washables to give my hands a break from the constant wet. The reusable wrap velcro is abrasive enough to scrape up my fingers if I'm not careful. The Amazon product is actually really well-made and very affordable. They have a patented adhesion system that doesn't stick to fur and is easily adjustable. Because I only have 6 left out of a box of 30, I try to re-order them today. Amazon tells me that I can order them in any size except the ones I last ordered. Those are now exclusively for Prime Members. Since my husband has a Prime membership, I had let my own lapse over the summer. I don't need to spend over $100 for quicker shipping. My husband and I keep separate accounts, so now I have to ask him to buy the dog diapers. Ugh. I suspect that Amazon has an algorithm that tracks what you've ordered and then makes your reorder impossible unless you join Prime. Yes, now they're holding dog diapers for ransom.

I get an email from Fosters & Smith telling me my shipment is en route. What shipment? I call the 800 phone number and speak to a fellow who tells me that yes, the auto-ship cancellation has been glitchy online. So he cancels it for me but tells me that since the order has already shipped, there's not a lot they can do. I speak to their pharmacy department as it's prescription dog food (Science Diet i/d low fat). They apologize, refund my money but tells me they can't take it back because it would cost more to return it, and then they'd have to destroy it anyway. I'm better off accepting delivery and donating it to a shelter, or perhaps my vet knows someone or a place that can use it. Sigh. I still have an unopened 12-pack of the i/d food, and a few Weruva cans. I don't see the dog ever eating canned food again, not even on soft fluffy white bread.

Today promises nothing but rain, and more rain. I get to the gym this morning, and do my 30 minutes. My eye itches, the rim of my eyelid burns as if I've somehow cut it, or the roots of my eyelashes are irritated. I still tape my eye shut when I shower. Even though the treatment sheet tells me I can stop using the eye drop antibiotics, I get it refilled. I'm the person who needs to eliminate all other issues when dealing with this discomfort in my face. As long as I'm taking the amoxicillin, and all the prescribed eye drops, I believe that this is just referred pain and nothing more serious. I see the glaucoma doc tomorrow, after the gym. You know I'm going to ask her about this.

Dreary Thursday

30 min recumbent bike
Calories 120
Miles 3.05
HR 113-105


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...