Friday, October 12, 2018

A Beautiful Autumn Day

Temperatures dropped into the low 50s last night and barely hit 60 this morning. The dog couldn't get his back legs to work last night and made a mess in the bedroom. Thank goodness I buy the bulk packages of baby wipes (for the dog) and disinfectant wipes (for the floor). Unfortunately, all the humidity from the past several months has finally caused some of our wood floors to warp and start to buckle. Ugh. I think it might've either been the boiled eggs (a bit egg yolk might've been too much fat) or the leftover chicken thighs I boiled up. I thought I had removed all the intramuscular fat inside the meat, but perhaps not enough. Fat feels squishy and gelatinous whereas muscle is firm and lays in fibrous strands. It's why chicken thighs are tastier and moister than breast meat.

Today I give the dog a bit of strawberry-banana yogurt mixed with the next to last probiotic capsule. Hopefully that and a fat-free meal of white bread and boiled shredded chicken breast will make things right with the old pup's tummy. He has trouble getting to his feet so dog diapers serve double-duty as a hip handle as well. Once he's on all fours, he manages to wobble to the front door or to the kitchen for a drink of water. I try to give him a Pill Pocket with gabapentin hidden inside. No go. He also turns down anything with Metacam squirted on it. Ugh. I know meds will make the old pup feel better, but he's still got a stellar nose for things he doesn't want to eat. I'll try again later with a can of tuna in water. It might be fishy enough to mask the smell of medication.

I go to my glaucoma eye doctor appointment at her new location. She has triple the office space now, but the road work makes getting there a bit frustrating. Luckily I always build in 15 minutes additional travel time so I'm not late. The doc tells me that my eyes looks good, with pressures at 13.5 and 14 for the left and right eye, respectively. My eye itches and eyelid rim stings. The doc muses about referred pain, tells me that she could remove the stitch in my eyeball since that's what's itching me. It should dissolve on its own in a few more weeks. I ask if my left eye had a stitch and she doesn't remember if she put one in or not. It all depends on what's called for during the surgery. The tech tells me my eyes are very dry. Oh hell, I could've told you that. She gives me a sampler pack of preservative-free Refresh. Those will help.

The doc also tells me I can resume normal exercise. I press her just to confirm that HIIT cardio and pull ups and push ups are okay. She asks how many push ups and I say 50 off the top of my head. She stares for a moment. Fifty? (I think to myself, Uh, yeah. It's less than I used to do. Because I used to be a bad ass gym rat. Sigh.) She tells me I can start doing push ups next week. Okay now!

Finally Friday
30 min recumbent bike
Calories 117
Miles 2.83
HR 105-107


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...