Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Fogfest Tuesday

I'm not sure if it's the amoxicillin or the removal of the bad tooth, but my face feels a tad better today. My ear doesn't feel full anymore, and the inside of my cheek no longer has the weird hot sensation that makes me think I've been burned. Those might be symptoms of a low grade infection, or not. (Online, I read about a rare potentially lethal side effect of amoxicillin in a man who develops meningitis from taking it to pre-medicate before his dental appointments. WTF?!) What's really weird is how used I'd gotten to not quite biting down fully on my right side. Now that the bad tooth is gone (wrapped in tissue and tucked away in a dresser drawer because I asked the dentist if I could keep it), I can clench my jaw properly. Wow!

There's a heavy fog warning this morning. I was hoping that the sunshine would last a little longer than the few hours we saw yesterday. Mostly it's damp and overcast, like we live in Scotland. It's also 10 degrees warmer than normal for this time of the year in New York. Now there are dire storm warnings due to the impending rain from Hurricane Michael. We're all getting "alarm fatigue" because every hurricane can't be "monstrous." It's only October so there will be more storms to come.

The dog sleeps a lot, and barely makes it down the walkway to pee. Then he wants to go back to the house to rest. When I get back from the gym, I take him out again. This time he's agreeable to a longer walk down the road, and then he poops. It's a mostly normal poop, a bit messy and yellowy orange. I'm so happy it's not the horrible dark ooze from last week. At least he's not going to die from pooping himself to death. The dog laps up a teaspoon of banana-strawberry yogurt with probiotic powder. That's as much as he's interested in, so I don't push.

I offer him white bread with re-constituted peanut powder, but he turns his face. I notice that some times he can't get the left leg to move properly, and he pivots on it, staggering a circular path around his food bowl, crumpling the newspapers underfoot because he can't really lift the other leg very high either. Once he's agreeable to taking some bread, I'll offer him some cooked gizzard and ground turkey. He hasn't really eaten today, but he usually feels better later in the afternoon. I know he's not ever going to recover, I'm just slowing his decline. I still have hope that he'll pass peacefully in his sleep.

My 30 minutes of recumbent biking is pretty much the same, except my heart rate is higher when I first touch the HR monitor handles. It slows down when I focus on slowing it down. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks post glaucoma-cataract surgery. I think I'm ready to inch my routine up a tiny notch, but maybe I'll wait until after my Friday eye doc appointment.

Fogfest Tuesday

30 min recumbent bike
Calories 121
Miles 3.19
HR 111-107


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...