Thursday, October 25, 2018

Back to My Old Tricks

Today I again toy with the idea of just doing cardio, but somehow, that's never enough for me. My gym rat nature reveals itself when I automatically move on to do more exercises. Yesterday I had my annual mammogram (and sonogram, which I think isn't really called for, but protocol for dense breast tissue, no matter how sparse, is that the techs do a scan). I skipped the gym and focused on trying to organize the kitchen in a way that made more sense. Like removing a shelf from a cabinet so that there was enough space to fit cereal boxes instead of leftover hardware from the original kitchen cabinet installation!

I rediscovered extra porcelain drawer pulls, and old touch-up crayons and markers for the Autumn Cherry finish, but my cabinets are so beat up and worn that it would take major refinishing to make them look decent. The markers are dried up anyway so I toss them. I still like the streaky Autumn Cherry color even though I was told that this is a major imperfection. The wood is suppose to be a solid color all the way through, and my cabinets are definitively not solid-colored. I like them better that way.

This morning is cold at 36 F, and even though there's no frost warning, I have to spend extra time defrosting my windshield. I feel simultaneously guilty and relieved that I don't have to walk the dog. At the gym, I finally get back on the cross-trainer. I watch my heart rate while pedaling. It doesn't feel too horrible, except my toes are numb on both my feet when I get off. I think about doing more cardio, like the Expresso Bike. Instead, I stretch at the Cage, do some pull ups and then retreat into the classroom for push ups and core. In a half hour, there'll be a Body Pump class in there.

I'm still not ready for RDLs so I start with T-bar rows. Even though the 25 lb plate feels heavy when I start, I realize that I can go for a lot more reps. Which means I should add more weight. I add just 10 lbs and start off with 12 reps. But by the 3rd set, I know I can handle more weight, if only because I've knocked out 20 reps. Something to look forward to next time.

I can't get on the Lat Pull Downs so I sit down at the Seated Cable Row. Today everyone is clustered in a gabfest. Big Tank guy, M and Lazy Pedals are clucking like old hens. I'm so relieved I have my headphones with music cranked up loud enough to drown them all out. They are literally a foot and a half away from me, and luckily, I don't have to share equipment with them. I usually avoid Seated Cable Rows because every now and then it aggravates my sciatica. But I don't plan on going too heavy though, so it'll be okay. 90% of your own body weight isn't really heavy, right? I have gone a lot heavier in the distant past, when I was younger.

It's not that I feel old, but my recovery time seems longer for things that never used to bother me. Being cold all the time, especially my fingers and hands, has lately been a concern. Of course, I've put on weight, partly because I'm not quite eating right, indulging in fatty foods like full-fat yogurts and spreading peanut butter on already buttered toast. Yeah, that's gotta stop before I pop out of my comfy clothes!

On a lark, I decide that my last exercise will be Reverse Grip BB Curls, which is mostly a forearm movement. It works biceps too, but not as much as a regular BB Curl would, with heavier weight. The 30 lb bar is an arbitrary choice. Next time I'll go heavier. I remember doing 50 lbs but I don't remember how long ago. Ugh. I do a full Mat stretch on two of those black foam pads. It's hard to do splits when you worry about snagging your toes (with socks on) on the mats. My movements are very slow and deliberate so as to avoid injury.

The puppy I had been viewing is no longer available for adoption. I'm hoping that means he's found his forever home. There are an endless supply of pups needing homes. Still, I feel such sadness when I sit still too long. I find myself lost, looking over old photos and videos. Maybe I really am getting old!? When we're ready, I'm sure we'll find the right dog for us. Meanwhile, I'm still not quite used to the quiet. My hubs wants me to take advantage of this and actually go on a Scout overnight camping trip, but the forecast is for rain and wind. Uh sorry, being physically miserable is not how I want to spend my weekend.

Thursday Pull

30 x-trainer
Calories 236
Miles 3.29
HR 139-162

HGPU 20
Push Ups 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Crunches 30/30
Bicycles 50

T-bar Rows
Bar x 20
25 lbs x 12 reps
35 x 12, 13, 20

Seated Cable Rows
70 lbs x 12 reps
85 x 12
100 x 8 x 3

RG BB Curls
30 lbs x 12, 15, 20

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...