Monday, June 18, 2018

Wrongful Assumptions

The saline ointment made the skin around my eye greasy. Which meant that I couldn't actually tape my eye shut in the shower today because nothing would stick to my skin. Ugh. I had chosen to try the smaller waterproof bandage, and left the larger ones at home. Yes, I'd assumed that these would actually stick. Wrong! I barely had time for 15 minutes on the Recumbent Bike and another 15 on the treadmill. I cranked the incline to 10° and the speed to 3 (it increases in increments of 1/10). A quick stretch and then off to shower.

Because there's so much road construction, I wasn't actually paying attention and missed the turn off from 301 (aka Hudson River Turnpike) to Dixon Road. That meant I had to take Route 301 all the way into Fahnestock State Park to pick up the Taconic Parkway. That's not one, but three hairy exits from where I'd normally get on to the highway. Not doing that again! I got to my appointment 7 minutes late and the waiting room is full of old blind people. I guess I'm one of them now. Kidding.

My eye pressures are all over the place with the left reading an elevated 16, while the right is down a point, to 16. My left eye reads the eye chart and they pronounce me 20/20. That's the bad eye, the eye that sees faint fuzzy type in low light that my right eye can read okay. Ugh. I ask how long I have to tape my eye shut and they tell me that because they used the Femto laser, at least 3-4 weeks. Ugh. So, I can discontinue the antibiotic eye drops, but still can't risk getting bacteria in my eye just yet. I ask about exercise, and they tell me at least 4-6 weeks. I tell them I'm on the treadmill. They say, No inclines. Ugh. I tell them I'm fast walking, but not actually running. They tell me I'm trouble. They can't offer me any better tape for my eye but suggest I go to the drugstore and see about those patches for kids with lazy eye. Those have to be waterproof. Okay... I'll check that out tomorrow.

Today might see highs near 100 degrees and I want to get home to make sure our old pup is okay. I've left two fans on and the windows open. Our house is normally fairly cool due to all the surrounding foliage, but heat is not a friend to the elderly, people or pups.

The doc's office is seeing a rep about new devices tomorrow and I wonder if they'll be discussing the iStent Inject® since it can be implanted without cataract surgery. I'm not sure if I, with my tiny eyeballs and narrow angles, would actually qualify, but I'm loathe to give up my right eye natural lens. I'm a visual artist. And while corrected vision always takes preference over blindness, perfect uncorrected vision is a no-brainer. Of course, the key word is VISION.

In the waiting room, I glance at a story about faux celebrities and get annoyed by the lack of pertinent information. Mama June (of HoneyBooBoo fame) has regained 25 lbs because she's lost sight in her right eye. What?! That makes absolutely no sense. She's suffered from untreated childhood cataracts which have led to complications, and suffered a partially detached retina in the left eye. So she spends a lot of time laying down and can't exercise. Okay, I totally understand that. What I don't understand is how being blind in one eye (assuming it's not a sudden thing) makes you gain 25 lbs. Ugh. I'm constantly annoyed at the sloppy quality of articles these days, and then wonder if I apply for a remote writer's job, will I become one of these schmucks too? Double ugh.

I'm planning on going to the gym tomorrow. More super boring cardio... no inclines... Just as I'm starting to feel sorry for myself, I think, well, it can always be worse. So boring is okay. But not sure how I'm going to get my mood enhancing, depression-lifting high without a bit of exertion. Is it possible to exercise muscles without doing it strenuously? Is that even worth it? I'm going to be a sack of jelly by the end of the summer. Just in time for glaucoma treatment in the other eye...

Another Boring Monday

15 Recumbent Bike
Level 1 Manual
Calories 84
Miles 3.06

15 treadmill
Speed 3
Inclined 10%
Calories 130
Miles 0.74
Climbed 384

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...