Friday, June 22, 2018

Eye of the Beholder

I wake up with my left eye aching slightly. It's hard to clear because I can't just splash water in my face like I used to do. The bruise on my forearm (where the IV was inserted) has faded considerably, but the area is still sore when I press on it. It's been 17 days since I had the surgery! I administer all my eye drops except for the saline ointment. Nothing will stick to my face if I use that in the morning. (I have a new water proof bandage to try out and I can't degrease before my shower at the gym.) The ketorolac drops sting the most, which is ironic considering they're prescribed as a NSAID used to relieve swelling, pain and itching.

I'm starting to ramp up my workouts just a little. My doc won't be happy about it, but I'm not actually going to return to lifting until she gives me the OK. The issue is controlling intraocular pressure, so no headstands! That's also why I don't do push ups with my feet raised. No Intervals or HIIT cardio either. I do the same routine I did yesterday, and then add back a few non-strenuous movements, like the shoulder warm ups from physical therapy with super light DBs, and the band pulls. I feel like I'll be okay if I put my head down briefly for stretches.
The only exercise I do that I have second thoughts about afterwards is the Elbow Plank. I sort of just fell into it out of habit. Followed by some Bird Dogs and Side Planks. Which aren't as stressful as a plain elbow plank (which I'm not planning to do again for at least another week). I can tell I've been away too long because my whole body started shaking from holding these positions. That's so unlike me! Ugh. I'm so out of shape!

I'm happy to find that the CVS waterproof wound care actually sticks to my face. It's large enough so I can affix it above my eyebrow and down my nose, forming a sort of waterproof tent over my eye. The entire surface is sticky (there's no gauze pad) so I have no problem sealing the area, but I worry about getting my eyelashes stuck. Luckily, even though they're the longest I've ever had, they're not long enough to cause any issues. Whew! I've been studiously avoiding getting water in my left eye because my doc told me horror stories of patients who'd gotten infections and lost part of their vision. And I know from past experience that if I were to get water in my eyes, it'd be the left one.

I've gotten shampoo in my left eye and had it red and irritated for hours afterwards. More than once. And only my left eye. Perhaps just a peculiarity of the shape of my brow or how I'm positioned in the shower. Regardless, today was the first actual success! The websites mostly state that patients should close the afflicted eye and face their back to the shower to keep water out. Sorry to say but that's not very effective. Seriously. Maybe if I had super quick short hair, but I don't...

Afterwards I'm at the grocery because I need to get milk and a few items I forgot yesterday. A big guy (well over 6 ft tall) with white hair comes up to me while I'm looking at the strawberries. I vaguely recognize him from the gym. Yesterday a woman in the checkout line also said she knew me from the gym. She looked vaguely familiar and she had very strong features, but I couldn't actually place her on any of the equipment or in the locker room. Of course, I'm not usually paying any attention at all to other people. (Unless they piss me off.)

The guy says, "I see you at the gym."
Uh oh.
He continues, "I really like watching you work out because you're so intense."
I think I have a perplexed look on my face. He walks away quickly.

I go back to looking at the strawberries which I don't actually buy because the organic ones are on the verge of going bad, probably before I get to my car. I tell my hubs about this when I get home. He says, "Well, that's kind of creepy that he's watching you work out." No kidding.

I admit I tend to bop along with my music, oblivious to everyone else and I set the pace of my workout to the beat of the music. (Yes, at concerts I'm the one standing on my seat dancing.) But maybe that's not what everyone else does? It'll get more interesting once I start bringing my son with me. I see fathers bring their sons, and mothers bring their daughters. If mothers bring their sons, it's because it's the weekend and the boys are children. But I'm different. Always will be. 

Adventure Friday

15 Recumbent Bike + 3 cool down
Level 1 Manual
Calories 87
Miles 3.39
Av Heart Rate 126 (75% max hr)

30 treadmill
Speed 3
Incline 5%
Miles 1.49
Calories 190
Climbed 390
Average Heart Rate 115 68%
Max HR 127

15 StepMill
Speed 3
Total steps 543
Floors 33
Calories 86
Average Heart Rate 129

T, Y & I DB Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15


Elbow Plank 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Mat stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...