Tuesday, March 27, 2018

What Are The Goals Again?

I hate to admit it, but I feel younger at the gym. Not just because there are a lot of decrepit old people there. Not just because there are a lot of out-of-shape middle-age folks, and a sizeable number of weak youngsters. Perhaps it's because no one is making any preconceived assumptions anymore. I feel strong, and fast and flexible. Kind of like a superhero. And isn't that what we all secretly want? When I stand next to my 13 year old, I suddenly feel short. And old. Weird. I don't think I'm going to fall into that little old lady stereotype too easily though.

The gym is once again crowded in the morning, and empty by noon. I get on the elliptical and do 30 minutes at Program 2 to warm up. Some pull ups and then I'm at the Smith. I save some Core for afterwards. I'm wearing my Asics, which are a stiffer shoe and better for pulling the bar up. But I only lower the bar about 2 inches below my knee, especially as the bar gets heavier. At 170 lbs, I discover new callouses immediately under my pointer fingers. I can't wear gloves with anything over 100 lbs, especially since I'm using Versa Gripps. My hands and fingers are too small for additional fabric between me and the bar. I had a substantial breakfast of coffee and a protein shake (whey powder, cocoa powder, fat-free lactose-free milk), but I still felt under-powered. Pulling 170 lbs left me breathing hard, and perspiring slightly. But of course, I actually went for more reps this week. One of these days I'll listen to the pros...

I'm wearing a different tank today. The fabric is slightly thicker than the last two I've worn. The princess seams make the tank more fitted than most I own. I feel like I have a waist! There's a cute cut-out in the back so I wear an appropriate sports bra: the crazy pink one with the maddening criss-crossing triple straps. I don't want to worry about my iPod Nano so I'm also wearing the yoga pants with a substantial (two color band) waistband. Land's End® used to sell them over 10 years ago, but not anymore. I used to think the rise was too short, but in reality, I was just too fat. After dropping from 129 lbs down to 105, the pants were suddenly too droopy. Now, at 111 lbs, they fit just right. Figures. (I'd rather be 105, but that's not really happening anytime soon.) But they don't lay smooth under the tank, and I get self-conscious about my belly. Ugh.

My lower back aches a little during RG BB Rows so I straighten up slightly. I do Seated One-Arm Cable Rows for the stretch, and a little bicep toning. I have enough time for some basic planks, but I'm cold by the time I get to the Mat Stretch. I used to add another set of cardio to the end of my workouts just to warm up enough for stretching. I'm tempted to do that again. But I already spend too much time at the gym. Ugh.

Pull Tuesday

30 elliptical
Program 2
Calories 288
Miles 2.55
Average Heart Rate 149 / max 205

HGPU 26

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
160 x 10
170 x 8 Yaaay!
Developed a new callous

Smith RG BB Rows
80lbs x 25reps x 3 sets

Seated 1-Arm Cable Row
45lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...