Friday, March 9, 2018

Two Nor'easters in One Week And No Gym Time

I went to the gym today after an entire week of non-gym activity. Winter Storm Riley hit last Friday and took our power out. Then our stand alone generator failed so that meant the sump pumps couldn't keep ground water out of the basement. So no power, no lights, no water, no heat. Ugh. It was sort of like camping inside your own house. We had the wood stove going 24/7, which meant sleeping for 90 minutes at a time in order to feed and monitor the stove. Wood doesn't last that long. (In my dream house, I'd have a big bluestone wood stove. I've heard that with those, you build the house around it because they're massive. And generate heat for hours!) We bought gallon jugs of water. We used the "camp toilet" in our bathroom and carted the nasty bags outside to the dog waste bucket. Our old propane-fed gas stove can be lit with a match so we kept big pots of water simmering in the kitchen. (I've heard that newer models don't allow you to do this because it's safer. WTF?!) This kept the kitchen warmer, and gave us hot water for washing.

We have flashlights and camp lanterns of varying sizes with batteries to match. And I finally made use of the thick unscented candles I purchased over 15 years ago. We got power back on Tuesday, and then lost it when Winter Storm Quinn hit us with a good two feet of snow. We got power back last night, but of course, the oil burner and hot water heater had been submerged for so long that they need repair and new parts. We have a "camp shower" that uses 5 gallons of water. My hubs hung it in the shower and used some of the simmering kitchen water. I preferred to go to the gym, and took my son to shower once they had power again.

Today I actually went to the gym to work out. My son went to school for the first time all week. The boiler repairman came while I was out, but my hubs was working from home today so the boiler got fixed and we once again have heat and hot water. Fingers crossed that the potential nor'easter coming in a few days blows out to sea!

I got a lot of snow shoveling in this week. As well as lugging firewood into the house. Snow shoveling is a lot harder, especially when the snow is deep and wet. My right delt and both forearms are sore. So are my hands, but that's from using the branch clippers to "trim" all the snow-laden privets imprisoning my garbage cans. Good thing too, since barely an hour later, the town garbage truck makes an appearance to collect all trash and recyclables! I shoveled a path around the house to the basement doors just so the repairman could access the equipment. The snow was thigh high and hard from last night's freeze. Then I went to the gym!

The old Life Fitness cross-trainers are all gone. The Expresso bikes now sit by the front door, and 5 brand new cross-trainers line up on the cardio platform behind the treadmills. I get on one, and I'm pleased that I fit okay. The bottle holder is too small though for my 1.5 liters so I put that on the floor. My phone is too big to sit in the phone slot too. Instead, I put it in the bottle holder. Ugh. But the action is fairly smooth even if I can't punch in Zero Resistance.

I get my pull ups, push ups and core done. There's someone in the Smith and I don't feel like waiting around. I guess today's a cardio day so I hop on the elliptical. Then a good Mat Stretch. After a long hot shower, I'm off to the grocery!

Friday 5.41 Cardio Miles


New equipment
20 Life Fitness + 5 cd
Miles 2.49
Calories 193

HGPU 30
Push Ups 60
Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Elbow Plank 60s

30 elliptical + 5 cd
Program 1
Calories 328
Miles 2.92
Average Heart Rate 149

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...