Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Happy Pi Day

It's my birthday so I agreed to meet a friend for lunch this afternoon at Florrie Kaye's Tea Room and Gifts. Of course, I'd be coming from the gym, with my wet hair clipped to the back of my head in a damp bun, and suitably under-dressed in a not-quite-grunge fashion. I'm not wearing jeans and flannel with a knit hat. No, I'm wearing black LLBean knit pants, a chamois shirt with a matching henley underneath, and my winter fleece hat which is the only hat deep enough to fit on my head when I've got my hair tied up. It's warm inside so I put the hat in my purse. Unexpectedly, I recognize a few people sitting at other tables including the Judge that comes to all our Boy Scout events. It's a tiny venue but surprisingly well-attended!

My friend orders the High Tea and I go with the other option, the option with real portions of real food. Because I'm not afraid to eat. She gets a tiny side salad and a teacup of lovely mushroom soup. I get an actual mug of soup. It's the best mushroom soup I've ever had, thick with pureed mushrooms in a probable cream base. There's actual chunks of 'shrooms in it as well. I'm probably going to regret eating this because I'm lactose-intolerant, but I eat it anyway. A savory cheddar scone with a pat of butter accompanies the soup. We both get monster pots of tea. She orders a black tea mix called Paris that has strong vanilla undertones. I get ginger oolong. For the main course, my friend gets the three-tiered finger sandwich assortment with the cheddar scone on top, bacon jam and crudites in the center, and three pairs of finger sandwiches at the base. The bacon jam tastes like smokey ham glaze turned into a chutney with no bite. It's smokey and very sweet. I have turkey panini with a side of gently pickled cucumber slices. The sandwich, which is delicious, contains stuffing and cranberries.

Dessert gives us a choice of a chocolate mousse, a tart with ice cream, or assorted pastries. We both order the pastries. Except I eat all of mine. And she opts to take most of hers home in a doggy bag to eat for dinner tonight. Mind you, she's several inches taller than I am, and heavier. But she's also over a dozen years older, and not as active as I am. So she eats a lot less. I should probably eat less too. But today's my birthday and I don't want to. (As it is, I take half the panini home and my son eats it as an after-school snack.) The Easter Bunny also made an appearance, which was unexpected, but ultimately elicited giggles and guffaws. In the back, there's a gift shop filled with porcelain tea sets, fluffy baby gifts, candles, and countless items depicting the Royal Family.

At the gym, I'm cognizant of the day's time constraints so I only do 20 minutes on the elliptical. Then a quick set of pull ups before sprinting over to the Smith. Some bozo has left 45 lb plates on the bar and walked away. Figures. I'll use them, but not just yet. I have to check last week's entries to remember just when I was planning to put the 45s on. I do fewer sets this week, but in bigger increments. I reverse the order of the RG BB Rows to make them into drop sets, and totally skip anything else so I'll have time for Core. Since I'm already on the Mat, I do the Mat Stretch. Then just enough time to change and shower!

Maybe I'll whack the machine tomorrow. The Town's Parks & Recreation Dept offers summer camp, as well as various sports and activities for residents. But this is the first time I've ever seen Jeet Kune Do offered. It's two hours on a Saturday afternoon for 6 weeks. The park is a mere quarter mile from my house and I've long wanted to take a martial arts class. Jeet Kune Do was made famous by Bruce Lee. When I log on to register, I read that participants must supply their own MMA gloves. That's not in the catalogue course description! Luckily, I have gloves. But I wonder how many people will be swayed one way or the other by that one little mention? Should be interesting if enough people sign up for there to be an actual class. I wonder how many of them will be teenage boys. It's for people 15 yrs and up so even my son wouldn't be able to participate. But they didn't give a size restriction, so I guess I'll see!

Meanwhile, local news begins fear-mongering anew with the proclamation of another nor'easter forming before Spring, which is in roughly a week. Oh joy...



Birthday Wednesday

20 min elliptical
Program 3
Calories 189
Miles 1.68
Average Heart Rate 160

HGPU 26

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
160 x 9 Yaaay!

Smith RG BB Rows
120 x 25
90 x 25
70 x 25

Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Elbow Plank 60s



2 comments:

  1. Hope you had a lovely birthday! Your tea-lunch sounds tasty. I suspect I'm overdoing things at home--splitting wood, stacking, cutting, handsplitting, plus lifting 2-3x/week, mudding walls etc. It's just that there is so much to do, so many projects in progress that I just can't seem to stop and rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! You must fall into bed dead exhausted! Hope you're at least enjoying a hot soak in the evenings!

      Delete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...