Monday, March 12, 2018

Scaremongering

With back-to-back nor'easters hitting within days of each other, we're a bit weary of all the storm hype. Yes, Winter Storm Quinn was definitely worse than Riley because of the massive amounts of heavy wet snow. This new storm promises less snow, less wind. But it's wise to still be cautious. Some of us are suffering from winter storm fatigue, and sensationalistic news headlines just cause us to click to another page. Warm temps (40+F) have melted a lot of the icy white stuff, but more than half still stands tall in mountainous banks and drifts. It was 20F when I took the dog out this morning. The birds can still walk up to the feeder on top of all the snow we cleared out of the driveway and walkway. Although we've recovered or replaced most of the food we put in coolers outside, I'm certain there's a bag of broccoli lost in a snowbank somewhere.

I get to the gym after dropping off bags of clothes and shoes and assorted items at Good Will and buying a bag of dog food for the pup. Even though I give him turkey cold cuts with his morning Metacam (for his gimpy arthritic hind legs), he still gets a cup of Iams dry dog kibble (moistened with water) mixed with cooked ground turkey and rice. Or oatmeal. If he had his way, he'd live on cold cuts and ciabatta bread. Seriously. Sometimes when he's not feeling well, he'll refuse the bread unless it's toasted. Spoiled much? Well, he's 15...

Amazing what a
little eyeliner can do!
The gym isn't very crowded and I hop on the new cross-trainer for 30 minutes. It's definitely harder than the old one I favored. These newer ones really make me feel my quads as I pedal. Just what I need... bigger quads. Kidding. I certainly don't need bigger legs. Then pull ups. My right shoulder twinges just a tiny bit. It's been relatively pain-free but snow shoveling has definitely been hard on that joint. I do push ups and all my core stuff... The Smith is free. Yaaaay! Inclined presses only really bother the meaty part of my palms where my thumbs insert. It's the weight causing the Reynaud's to flare up. Parts of my hands go numb until I shake them out. This is yet another reason I prefer the Smith: no worries about using a thumbless grip while pressing.

I skip the Barbell superset and go right to DB superset. And then I skip Rip Skulls and do V-bar Cable Press downs. Because I haven't done them in a long while, and since snow is forecast for tonight into tomorrow, I don't want to be too tired to shovel. Seriously. I'm still recovering from spending the Saturday at Scouting University during the day, and at my son's kung fu school New Year's fundraiser banquet. Then marching in the St. Pat's parade with other Boy Scouts on Sunday. Daylight savings changeover had me wondering why I was walking the dog in the dark this morning. But at least it was light out at the bus stop. Whew!

I think I prefer shoveling to all this stuff... but I don't miss having no hot water or electric for the microwave and toaster. It's the little things that make life enjoyable!

Monday Push Day

30 x-trainer
Calories 232
Miles 3.14
No Average Heart Rate given on new machines

HGPU 26
Push-ups 60
Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Elbow Plank 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) sticky x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 12
70 x 25 Yaaay
60 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

V-bar Cable Press Down
30lbs x 13
40 x 12
45 x 12


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...