Sunday, June 25, 2017

Family Gym Time

My hubs wanted to go to the gym and I wanted my son to do something other than spend the day on the sofa playing video games. Of course, because my hubs has so little free time to work out, wasn't really interested in "babysitting" our son at the gym. Kids can come to the gym on weekends with their parents for free and without a doctor's note, but they have to be under constant parental supervision. So, if you bring your kid(s), they have to be doing what you're doing. I don't have a problem with this because I've had most of the week to do my own workout. This is a bonus workout. So all three of us head to the gym. As is usually the case on a sunny afternoon weekend, the gym is virtually deserted.

Console after the Intro
My son can fits just fine
Land of the Giants
My hubs goes off to the free weight section. My son and I decide to try the Espresso bikes for the first time. I need the desk staff to show me how to adjust things though, and I find that I just barely fit. They don't make these bikes for kids or kid-size people. My son fits just fine though. At the lowest seat level I can reach the pedals okay, but can't really grasp the handle bars except with the first two joints of my fingers. You need the handle bars to steer! If I lean forward, the upward tilt of the seat is uncomfortable. I guess I could always try standing but not as a newbie. There are several exciting courses to select from with a variety of themes. You can race the person on the other bike if you both choose the same course! You can select a course based on terrain or length (2 miles, 5 miles, etc). My son and I both choose a course that comes straight out of Land of the Giants (a favored TV show I watches as a child) as we pedal through a landscape dotted with giant farm objects, including rats and lurking cats. I can see my son far ahead and there are other "riders" who zoom past me. I have trouble keeping up, and sometimes I find myself off road. Luckily, there's no consequence for leaving the trail or running over another rider (which I do deliberately to see what would happen). Whew!
Successfully finished
My son works up a good sweat and tells me he's tired so I suggest we walk on the treadmills. He's happy to whip out his phone and earbud so he can watch youtube videos as he walks. After 10 minutes I've had enough of that and switch to pedaling on the cross-trainer behind him. 15 minutes of that and I go stretch out and do a set of wide hammer grip pull ups for good measure. My son and hubs are now both on the treadmills so I go shower. Both of them decide that mango protein smoothies are the way to end the work out day. If the gym had a lactose-free version I'd have one too. Later, we shoot BB-rifles in the yard and knock down little green army men off the garbage bin.


I'm done with the treadmill
Done with the cross-trainer too!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Our son, says he will start lifting with us after his 14th birthday, which just happens to be tomorrow. As for shooting the BB gun,YES! Loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...