Friday, June 9, 2017

Blissful Whacking

The heat kicks on this morning because it's 43°F outside. Never mind that temps will peak near 80 later. It's like living in the dessert. Except for all the humidity and bugs and flowering plants. Yep.

I'm determined to whack the machine today. My shoulder is still a bit iffy, but only when I'm sitting at an odd angle. It doesn't actually bother me much at the gym. Just to be safe, I do the T, Y and I baby bell raises as part of my warm up. I see Marine while I'm on the cross-trainer. Normally I use the elliptical, but today all four stations are occupied. Everyone wants to be in and out of the gym lickety split because it's Friday and it's gorgeously sunny outside. I see a few other regulars. The guys especially, have given up hovering near me. Except for Shaggy. Today he just doesn't know what to do with himself, and it's annoying.

I have a theory about guys, besides them being another species. They like to project ridiculous fantasy characteristics on real-life women because they don't actually see women, especially ethnic ones, as real people. There's not a lot of Asians where I live so I might be seen as an "exotic", never mind my family is 4 generations American, dating back to the Canadian Pacific railway. At least three guys at this gym have, at one time or another, mouthed the words, "I love you" to me. Seriously. I pretend I don't even see them because I think that's actually nicer and saves everyone embarrassment. I don't talk to them. Jeeze, I barely talk to the few women I'm friendly with. So now that I'm a real person (with a photo show), they can't indulge in their fantasies that I'm a too-shy-to-talk, just-off-the-boat, if-they-can-only-catch-my-eye girl.

As much as I'd like to be friends with a lot of guys, I'm always mistaken, and taken by surprise when they inevitably hug me, or want to kiss me. Ugh. Much better chatting with happily married parents of my son's friends. My hubs has told me that men always have sex on their minds, even when they're not thinking about it. My dad told me as much when I was a teenager, but of course, I didn't want to believe him. To paraphrase Rodney King, Can we just be friends?

The machines are even more broken this week. Not only does the Left machine not recognize any upper pad blows (jabs, cross, elbows, hooks), but the right lower pad now only intermittently senses a Front Sweep or Power Kick. Ugh. Still, at least I can see the monitor, whereas the Right machine still has the dangly broken Cross pad blocking the screen view. I do 5 rounds of Beginner, and two sets of 5 round Intermediates. The shoulder doesn't bother me at all until I'm done, unwrapped and doing a set of wide hammer grip pull ups. Well, at least I'm done.

Friday

10 min x-trainer
Calories 49
Miles 1.39

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Nexersys Follow Me program
5r Beginner
5r Intermediate
5r Intermediate

WHGPU 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...