Wednesday, April 5, 2017

When You Can't Stand or Sit, You Run

I usually stand at the kitchen table when I sip my morning coffee and peruse the newspaper. Today was no different. Except that sitting really wasn't an option. I woke up feeling pretty good. Then I took the dog for a walk, and accompanied my son down the hill to the school bus stop. Standing around makes my leg ache. My knee is stiff and my leg feels fat, like it's swollen. But it doesn't look any different. Ugh.

There's nothing left to do but go to the gym, because at least I can do some cardio there. It's not helpful to pace through the house all day. Sitting in front of my computer is really becoming a pain in the tuckus. I get on the cross-trainer and opt for a moderate pace. My outer thigh feels a bit tight, and my hammie is sore. But nothing else feels amiss. I do a few pull ups. Well, at least I got to 26. The shoulder complained a little, but mostly because it's been a long time and it was getting tired. Seriously. Push ups weren't too taxing. I go to 50 without a problem. Then 30, and finally 20 for a full 100 reps. The shoulder feels more tired.

I like working delts because I don't really have great ones. Work on your weaknesses! Cardio is one of mine. After the DB trifecta superset, I hop back on the elliptical and set it to manual. This way I can control the incline and whether I'm pedaling forward or backward. It feels okay. Even when I stretch out afterwards, the only discomfort I feel is the slight tightness in my left leg, like my knee is stiff from being swollen. It's not really. It just feels that way.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the physical therapy folks. I'm going after the gym. Yep. And once I learn what I need to do to fix the shoulder, and maybe pry some info out of them about my sciatica issues, I'm good to try it out on my own. Never mind that the Rx says 3X weekly for the next 4 weeks. I think that's just a standard convention.

Yesterday I also saw my glaucoma doctor. My IOPs aren't great at 14 and 16. But when I question her about my January visual field tests, she tells me that they're actually better than my last several ones. Hmmm. She says that means my disease has stabilized for now. I want to say "But I was on latanoprost then, and you've switched me to Travatan®. Shouldn't I be back on the generic?" But she is so totally sold on the name brand drug that it feels pointless to argue this point, although the generic costs $10/mos and the Travatan goes for $25. Ugh.... I get to see her in 3 months. I wonder how my IOPs will be then. 

Wednesday
6.10 miles total miles
(Left Leg Sciatica)

30 min x-trainer
Easy Pace!
Calories 134
Miles 3.60
151 Average Heart Rate

HGPU 26
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50, 30, 20
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

DB Front / Laterals / Rear
15/20/25 lbs x 12/12/15 reps x 3

30 min elliptical
Manual
Calories 279
Miles 2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...