Monday, April 24, 2017

When Meds Make You Weak

I'm sufficiently recovered to cut back on my ibuprofen doses. I haven't been taking any during the afternoons. As long as I'm occupied, I don't even notice the soreness in my glute and the tightness in my quad. The ache inside my hip is mostly gone now. Sometimes the remnants of the rash itch, but in the way scabs itch. Today I decide that I don't need any to get me through the morning either. And I'm cutting the bedtime dose from 3 pills to 2, but I'm still taking gabapentin and the single capsule of ZMA. Nothing makes me drowsy, but hopefully I won't wake up every few hours.

For the past week or so, I've been struggling with my push ups and I can't help but feel that the ibuprofen is sapping my strength. Literature suggests that ibuprofen interferes with mechanisms for muscle and bone repair. Not good. My shoulder hurts more today, but not enough to keep me from doing a few basic moves. Push ups are better today. Cardio isn't bad, but that's often the case when I haven't worked out in two days. I do the light DB shoulder warm up with 5 lb weights. 15 reps of T, Y and I twice. But my shoulder isn't really impressed.

Today I only do RDLs in the Smith. One basic move, but nowhere near max weight. I'd like to whack the kickboxing machine tomorrow but not if my shoulder doesn't recover. I see a few regulars, and promptly avoid them because I'm not here to chat. I'm short on time so the only thing I'm interested in is finishing with my last cardio session, and then a feeble attempt at pull ups. The left elbow complains too much to go past 15 reps.

Over the weekend, I went back to Kmart to see if I could find shorts to match my Wilma Flintstone tank top, and if they'd fit me. I'm a hard to fit size because I'm actually a fairly large person with short limbs. So, even though I wear a size 2 or 4 in pants, I'm looking at a M in sport shorts, but that's mostly because I don't like anything skin tight. I find the shorts, but they're not actually the same color even though they're suppose to match. Different dye batch I'm guessing. Ugh. They're also not particularly flattering. Instead, I pick two other pairs of shorts, and am pleased that I have enough "reward points" to essentially get them for free.

I'm not at all pleased with my lack of progress. Between the shoulder injury and this bout of shingles, I feel myself getting fat. I can see it even though I'm only a few pounds (112 lbs) over my goal weight (107). There's a definite jiggle to the belly now, and mine is definitely thicker. Ugh. I start today with my post-workout shake and a light dinner. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I always seem to put on weight when I eat "normal food" for lunch. And I'm the type of person who won't eat something if it doesn't taste good... so no chicken breasts or egg white omelets. I'm a bit upset about looking like someone who used to work out, as opposed to someone who actually works out. Perhaps a minor difference to some, but incredibly important to me. At least at this age. Because I'm vain like my dad, and never want to look my age. Ever.

Monday
6.52 total miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 143
Miles 3.92
Average Heart Rate 148

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 60, 50, 40
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

T, Y & I raises 5 lbs
15 reps each x 2

Smith RDLs
Bar x 12
80 lbs x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
130 x 12

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 296
Miles 2.60

12" HGPU 15 Twinge left elbow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...