Friday, April 21, 2017

Let's Try This Again...

Mirror needs cleaning!
I take ibuprofen as soon as I get out of bed. But I still need a bit of time before I head to the gym because ibuprofen interferes with bone mass replenishment, and what's the point of pumping iron if you can't benefit both your muscles and your bones? Two to three hours is sufficient, or so the scientific papers suggest. I get my 30 min of cardio, do push ups and crunches, knee-ins and planks, and then head over to the Smith.

First I grab a pair of 5 lb DBs and do my T, Y & I raises while lying face down on a flat bench. My right shoulder ached when I woke up so I knew there was going to be issues. I didn't work out at all yesterday because I just didn't have time between the dentist, shopping for storage bins for photographs that I'm not showing this summer (but I'll need their mat boards and frames), rushing my son off to the dermatologist, and then household chores like dinner, dishes, laundry and of course, the dog.

The dermatologist diagnosed my son with cystic acne, or acne that has a bacterial infection under the skin. It's systemic and topicals aren't likely to help much. He's prescribed a low-dose course of amoxicillan, and a skin creme. The antibiotic can be taken with dairy products (unlike tetracycline), and hopefully we'll see results in about 4 weeks. Fingers crossed... 

So why does my shoulder hurt now? Maybe because I didn't work out yesterday? Or maybe I slept on it funny? Flat benching starts off fine with just the bar but progressively becomes uncomfortable as I add weight. 80 lbs is a weight I'm used to doing high reps on. As in 25 reps. But now I can't. Because the front of the right shoulder hurts. Ugh. I swap out the flat bench for the inclined and adjust it to about 30°. It doesn't hurt. I gingerly up the weight but I can still knock out my 12 reps. Even at 80 lbs. Which is usually harder at an incline than flat. Weird.

The DB lateral raises and reverse inclined flyes are fine but my arms a bit tired. Rip Skulls are also fine once I get warmed up. Yes, the first set was the hardest, and the following two were much easier. Weird. I see Big Mountain Glasses Dude chatting with The Mayor who is unusually quiet. Or at least I can't hear him above Billy Idol. Finally I do another 30 minutes of cardio. I see creepy PJ Pants on the treadmill. He keeps looking around. I have to get to the gym earlier to avoid the creepy guys.

Because my shoulder is flaky today I skip pull ups. I'm partway through the Mat Stretch when I notice water on the floor. It's hard to see because I didn't actually see it until I was down on the ground. I'm worried someone old will slip and fall, but everyone seems to walk by just skirting the edge of the puddle. I'm so worried that I cut my stretch short, grab some paper towels and mop up the puddle before heading off to shower. Because you know, OCD.

I go to the supermarket for a few items, and happen to glance at the nutrition bars. There's something wrong when the regular price is only a penny more than the sale price. Perhaps some English major was taking things literally when they posted the signs stating that this item was on sale? As in "Yes, we're actually selling this bar today." Seriously.


Friday
6.41 total miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 140
Miles 3.71
Average Heart Rate 153

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50, 50, 30
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

T, Y, I x 5 lb DB x 15 reps x 2 sets

Smith flat bench
Bar (30 lbs) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 13 Rt shoulder twinge
80 x 12 Awkward rt Ugh!

Smith Inclined 30 deg Bench
Bar x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12 no pain
80 x 12
60 x 12

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25 lbs x 12/15 reps x 3

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

30 min elliptical
Intervals
Calories 310
Miles 2.70

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...