Thursday, April 27, 2017

Gains in Small Increments

What can I say? Too early for a/c but too damn hot and humid otherwise. I put on a new pair of gym shorts and hope I don't spend all day yanking them down. Because I have big meaty thighs and unless the pants legs are loose, they ride up. Very uncomfortable. And it makes me self-conscious even though most of the time I have such an attitude that no one's going to say anything to me anyway.

Well, at least my push ups are improving. That's the way it should be! Pretty sure it was the ibuprofen messing with me so now I'm wondering whether I should stick with the 2 caplets at bedtime or try to deal with just the gabapentin. I could take just one caplet tonight and see whether I sleep tonight? If I don't sleep I'm gonna be awfully cranky tomorrow!

I skip all the core stuff except for Knee-Ins and that's because I was waiting on the Stretch Cage, but then I realized that it's the Dude Who Stands in the Cage for 20 Minutes While Looking At His Phone, and since I have no idea what his back-story is (maybe he's got a heinous nerve or joint injury?), and I'm not inclined to listen to him tell me, I figure I'll just go do something else. Inclined Bench is okay but not great. I don't max out because at 80 lbs I'm feeling a slight twinge in the shoulder. Of course, I also went to physical therapy yesterday. (Whacking the machine was actually Tuesday.) And I always seem to hurt after physical therapy. But at least I didn't wake up with a sore shoulder this morning.

The DB SuperSet would be better if that's all I did. I know that from experience, but that's not what's happening today. I see a few regulars. Like the Gay Firemen Twins. They're not really twins but... There's some new faces too. And bigass DanielBryanFanboy is back, but with a yr old baby girl that he puts into the Childcare room. Guess he's been busy with Cripple Girl! PJ Pants is just leaving (thank goodness!), and Hannibal Baggy Knees is the only senior I see with a dress belt around the waist of his gym shorts.

The Mayor is at the Smith for the first time I can remember. He's doing bench squats while straddling the bench. Usually people put the bench behind their butts. Today must be "leg day" because he's also on the Leg Press and a standing contraption where you push your leg backward. I don't fit into most of these machines, and the shoulder pads on the other machines bite into my flesh rather painfully. Not worth it for me. I got big legs anyway, and all I do for them is cardio. I really wish they'd get a bit smaller. I'm never gonna look like a scrawny marathoner, that's for sure!

This morning I swore that my right leg was noticeably bigger than my shingle-impinged left, but that's probably something so slight that only I could discern. These shorts still have to be pulled down all the time. Oh well. The leg is feeling more normal and less constricted, getting better every day! Of course, I still have a sprinkling of the shingles rash but they look more like sporadic bug bites than a rash. Tomorrow I'm going to try for most of a Pull Day. We'll see how it goes... At least the scale's moving in the right direction. Gym scale reads 110.4 lbs today. Only 3 more excruciatingly stubborn pounds to go! It'd be nice if it was 3 lbs of fat, and not anything else....

Thursday
6.5 total miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 143
Miles 3.87
Average Heart Rate 154

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 70, 50, 30

T, Y & I raises
3 lbs x 15 reps
5 lbs x 15 reps

Smith Inclined Press 30°
Bar (30 lbs) x 15
50 lbs x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
60 x 15

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyers
20/25 lbs x 12/15 reps x 3

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 reps x 3

30 min elliptical
Program 2
Calories 300
Miles 2.63

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...