Monday, April 17, 2017

Slow Progress

I got to the gym late, as usual. First I had to drop off a "sterile" sample of dog pee at the vet's office. The dog is basically healthy, but they were concerned about trace indications of bacteria and white blood cells in the last urine sample. First they suggested I bring the poor dog back so they could take a sterile sample. I asked how they planned to do this. They said they wouldn't use the syringe because that would require flipping the dog on his back, and he's not going to put up with that. "Oh, we'll just lay him on his side and catheterize him."

"Really? You think he's going to let you do that?" It took two assistants, a muzzle, and a third pair of hands just to clip his toenails last week. So the vet's office reluctantly agreed to give me a sterile container, and I could catch some mid-stream urine for them to culture. That's probably the most expensive pee sample ever. I gotta find a new vet practice because I can't afford this one any more. I'll get the results back in a few days. I hope it's just a dose of clavamox. I wonder how much that'll cost.

I just barely get my 6 miles today. My leg still bothers me. My shoulder not as much. I knock out my push ups, crunches, planks with no problems. I always feel better when I'm warmed up. Before I do the DB delt superset, I grab a pair of 5 lb chrome-plated beauty bells and do 15 reps of the T, Y and I raises while lying on my stomach on a flat bench. Twice. They don't hurt, but I can feel a slight strain in my right shoulder, the damaged one. And then I knock out my DB lateral raises superset with reverse inclined flyes. And the shoulders feel pretty good! Back to the elliptical for 30 minutes, then a quick set of pull ups before rushing off for my follow-up appointment.

The doc tells me that the rash looks good. It's barely visible. My blood pressure is totally excellent at 112/70. (It hasn't been that good since HS when I remember it being 110/70.) She also tells me that in her experience, light rashes are usually accompanied by worse pain than heavy rashes. Also, upper body shingles, with the exception of the trunk or head, are usually milder in discomfort. That would explain why my husband's case of shingles down his left arm wasn't nearly as painful as my leg. I still feel as if someone is jabbing a big meaty thumb inside my hip and groin. My knee feels swollen, and my ankle hurts intermittently. Ugh. But it's better than it was. And it should continue to get better, until it's totally gone. The only good thing is that I've acquired a semblance of immunity from further shingle outbreaks for at least 3-4 years. Just in time to qualify for the shingles vaccine, because I'll be 60. Oh joy... 

Monday
6.11 miles

30 min x-trainer
Calories 148
Miles 3.52

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50, 50, 30
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

T 5lbs x 15 x 2
Y 5lbs x 15 x 2
I 5lbs x 15 x 2

DB Lat s/s Rear Incl Flyes
20/25 lbs x 12/15 reps
20/25 x 15/15
20/25 x 15/20

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12 x 3

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 294
Miles 2.59

12" HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...