Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Proof of Efficacy

Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but last night I couldn't remember if I had taken the one 300 mg capsule of gabapentin before bed. I wasn't sure what would happen if I took two capsules, but I like to err conservatively so I didn't take any. Which was a mistake because I woke up every 2-3 hours and felt as if I'd never fallen asleep. Only logic reassured me that I hadn't actually lain in bed fully awake for hours at a time. I couldn't get comfortable. My hip and knee throbbed no matter how I positioned myself. When the alarm sounded this morning, all I could think of was heading back to bed once I got my son off to school. But that never happens. Unless I'm deathly ill.

Instead, I had my coffee and yogurt with vitamins. And 3 ibuprofens. It takes an hour before those kick in. Meanwhile I can get things done around the house. Moving around is better than sitting around. I get to the gym and do 30 minutes on the elliptical because all the cross-trainers are busy. I decide to skip all the core stuff. No push ups, no crunches, no planks. Instead, I head straight to the Smith and test out RDLs. Because it's been weeks since I last did them. Today's a light day, a test day just to feel things out. And overall, I fare pretty well. I'm lucky in that I don't really lose much strength or mass even when I miss a few workouts. My husband tells me that he's envious of that quality, but he hopes that our son has inherited it. That'd be a good thing.

The gym is crowded because the weather sucks. I see Marine, The Mayor, PJ Pants, SnowBird and a few others. After drag curls and reverse grip curls I give pull ups a shot. My forearms are shot so I'm lucky I can get to 25. Of course, if I dropped into a full extension, I'd be lucky to get to 12. And my elbows would probably fall out. Today is a full day. Once I leave the gym, I have to do grocery shopping, and barely have time to unload the car before dashing off to pick my son up from his after-school class in Animal Dissection. This week they're doing giant worms. Then off to kung fu. There's still dinner, and the dog to deal with. And I think the back-up generator is leaking oil which means it's basically dead. Ugh.

Tonight I'm definitely going to remember to take my gabapentin with my handful of ibuprofen. Kidding. I only every take 3 capsules at a time. Max.

Wednesday
6.45 miles

30 min elliptical
Program 3
Calories 293
Miles 2.59

Smith RDLs
Bar (30 lbs) x 12 reps
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
130 x 12
100 x 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80 x 25
100 x 25
120 x 25

BB Drag Curls
40 lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

BB RG Curls
40 lbs x 23 reps x 3 sets

30 min x-trainer
Calories 143
Miles 3.86

12" HGPU 25

2 comments:

  1. I gave up trying to remember if I took my pills. I got one of the week long pill containers and load it every Sunday for the whole week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you know you're old when you got one of those... kidding! My son asked me what those were for when he saw them at the pharmacy counter. He's too young to understand the need for such things, although they'd be helpful for vitamins too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...