Friday, April 14, 2017

Good Friday

My husband and I went to the gym today. It's beautiful outside so I wasn't too worried about it being crowded inside. I've been to physical therapy twice this week, each session doing different movements to strengthen the tiny rotator cuff muscles. But I wake up this morning because of the pain in my leg and shoulder. Ibuprofen works but only if I take 3 pills at a time. That's 600 mg. I'm okay with that, but I do worry about liver toxicity and the fact that NSAIDs inhibit muscle growth and repair.

I took the last of the anti-viral yesterday, and I'm happy that the little bumps on my leg seem to be receding. They never reached the weeping stage, so I don't think I've ever been contagious. But I'm a bit bummed that they're down to the top of my foot. There's still pain inside my hip that radiates down my femur and into my knee. But when I do cardio, I don't feel anything. Except my toes going numb.

I make my 6 mile quota so that makes me happy. I knock out push ups, crunches and planks. I get 26 reps on the hammer grip pull ups. The last rep is the only one where I don't pop my face above the roof edge of the Stretch Cage. My elbow doesn't complain until rep 25. Because I don't have any DBs lighter than 5 lbs at home, I decide to do the Y, T and I shoulder exercises from physical therapy in between my cardio sessions. The smallest DBs are 3 lbs but at least I'm on a bench where both my shoulders are clear. When I'm at PT, I have to scoot to one side of the table or the other for my arm to hang off properly before doing the exercise.

I raise both arms simultaneously at the gym because it's faster, and because I can. 3 lbs isn't difficult, but I can feel the stiffness in the damaged right shoulder. I'm not happy that since starting PT, my right shoulder aches more now, probably because of the adjustments being made to the way the joint sits in the socket. I'm definitely mentioning it next Tuesday which is the only appointment I've booked. My schedule is packed between my son's after school activities, the vet, the dentist and a recheck with my primary.

I went to Kmart on a whim to look for Easter candy (my son still wants the Easter bunny to visit him even though he's 12) and saw that there were a few of the sports bras in the style I favor in stock. I've learned from experience that the store will only stock 2-3 items in a certain size and then you'll never see them again. There are a ton of the thick strapped, single piece Athleta brand sports bras which I find uncomfortable because I seriously don't need that kind of industrial boob support. But there are only a handful of the thin-strapped Everlast bras. I bought two some years ago and have been searching for that singular style ever since, even punching the item number online with no results.

I find two in size L, and two in XL and take them to the dressing rooms to make sure they fit. The rooms have multiple locks on them. I'm not really sure why, but it's reassuring to know that no one will be barging in on me. The removable cups are problematic — they're shaped like egg holders, but because they're removable (thank goodness), I can replace them with smaller, flatter pads. I've kept a pile of such pads when I toss out sports bras that no longer fit properly. (You can also buy replacement pad online on Amazon.) The size Ls fit fine, and the XLs will do for wearing under street clothes. It's not that I need the support, just something to address the headlamp factor. I also find a pink workout tank that reminds me of Wilma Flintstone. Even a size S is a little big in the armholes, but it's fun.

My son doesn't have school on Monday either so I'll let him sleep in and I'll hit the gym again. He's now almost two inches taller than I am, but his reach is more than 4 inches over mine. I'm glad he isn't cursed with my Southeast Asian body proportions (long body, short limbs). Today, my hubs shows my son how to split wood. I'm already seeing a young man grow before my eyes...

Friday
6.14 miles

30 minx-trainer
Calories 148
Miles 3.53
Average Heart Rate 144

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50, 50, 30
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

T lifts 3 lbs x 15 x 2
Y lifts 3 lbs x 15 x 2
I lifts 3 lbs x 15 x 2

30 min elliptical
Program 2
Calories 298
Miles 2.61

HGPU 12" wide 26 reps

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...