Wednesday, April 26, 2017

More Broken Than I Am

It takes me a while to get to the gym, but I like it better when it's not so crowded. The forecast promises chilly rain all week, which usually forces runners and the like indoors. I'm sporting my Wilma Flintstone tank today just to brighten things up. But no shorts because it's too cold, and since I plan to whack the machine, I need to protect my knees with fabric of some sort. Today's it's my ancient pair of mesh sport pants that are loose and comfy and have useful pockets.

After 10 min on the elliptical just to get vaguely warm, I strip off my hoodie and place it down on a flat bench. I still have to do those T, Y and I dumb bell exercises. I start off with 3 lbs for the first set and finish with 5 lbs. I haven't seen anyone on the Nexersys machines in a long time. I get my hands all taped and wrapped up before I notice that the Right machine (there are two) that I favor has a low hanging Upper Left Pad, what would be the Cross.

It's loose from the base and there's no way to fix this short of disassembling the entire arm. Sigh. I tell the gal at the desk and she writes a note to the gym owner. He's got his private client right now, and he's sitting on the sliding ab machine, making the client drag him and said machine across the gym like a weighted sled. I hear client tell gym owner, "You gotta go on a diet!"

I don't like the Left machine because it's impossible to create an account, which is how you turn off all the buzzers, and tell the machine that you're female and don't weigh very much. So I skip to Quick Start and turn off all the programs except for Follow Me. At least I can choose 5 rounds Beginner. I'm not sure how my damaged right shoulder will handle this so I'm being cautious. As it turns out, neither of the Upper Pads register anything at all. So no matter how I jab and punch, it thinks I've missed the blow. Which means I'm just going to do 5 rounds and not bother with seeing how well I'm doing, because it's not going to be even vaguely accurate. Afterwards, I tell the gal about this machine. Then, because I don't really feel tired or properly worked out, I switch back to the Right machine.

I'm careful not to hit the loose Pad too hard, but it does actually register a blow. Just not accurately as I'm leery of really breaking it so I just sort of tap it when the machine calls for a Cross. It's a lesson in self-control, especially with the Jab-Cross combinations. Everything else works though. I do 5 rounds and call it a workout. Once I unwrap my hands, I stretch a bit in the Stretch Cage, then do a few pull ups. Done! Tomorrow I have a physical therapy appointment so I'm going to skip the gym. I have waaaay too many things to do, like get my shit together for my back-to-back shows that start in less than 6 weeks. Ugh.

At least the shingles is healing up. I barely notice it now except for a weird tightness in my leg when I walk. I don't notice it at all when I'm on the elliptical though. And I still can't sit on hard surfaces for any extended length of time, but that's probably a good thing.

Tuesday

10 min elliptical
Calories 95.2
Miles 0.84

T, Y& I raises
3 lbs x 15 reps
5 lbs x 15 reps

Nexersys 10 rounds total
5 rounds Beginner
Left machine No Uppers
No profile


5 rounds Beginner
Right machine / downed Cross pad

HGPU 24 (left elbow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...