Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Thoughts on Things

My son woke up when I took the dog out this morning. I guess he's starting the slow painful process of adapting to school hours. His bus is suppose to arrive at 7:13 am next Tuesday. Which means I'll have to rouse him around 6:30 or so. That's going to be painful, especially come winter when it'll still be dark out. I think he's trying to assure himself of undisturbed gaming time because he knows I'll be gone for a few hours.

I'm tired and slow when I get on the cross-trainer. Today I only make a total of 6 miles even. Well, it's not the worst I've done. My right foot is still acting oddly whenever I pedal for prolonged periods of time. My left foot is also starting to go numb on the cross-trainer. I guess age is catching up with the body parts. Oh well...

My first set of pull ups surprises me, because the last rep sends my chin up past the bar unexpectedly. So even though I'm not getting the same mileage, I am actually stronger differently. I do have to pause at rep 90 during push ups, but I still get 100 reps. Crunches are the same, as are planks. The Mayor has his son on the Inclined Bench and they are taking turns spotting each other. The Mayor benches more of course, but he's got several inches and 100 lbs on the kid.

I grab a pair of 5 lb DBs and position myself for Cuban DB Presses. I feel awkward. It's actually better when I move up to a slightly heavier weight, 8 lbs. And the 10 lb DBs feel even better. Three sets is enough for a novice to the movement. Maybe I'll feel something tomorrow. But at least my right ear didn't congest, which is what happens when I do OHP using heavier weights.

Then another 30 minutes on the elliptical, and another set of pull ups. Today, I can actually do 41 reps. Yaaaay for me! I also do a full Mat Stretch and pay attention to my hips and lower back. I feel pretty good. Tomorrow I'm going to whack the kickboxing machine.

Yesterday, my husband drove to the airport because he had a flight to Tallahassee Florida. While at the airport, he got told that he should go to Houston instead. He was originally scheduled to go to Boston and then Houston this week. Tallahassee got cancelled because they're don't know what they're doing down there. Finally, he just came home and said he'd travel next week. Which meant he was home in time to come with us to see Kubo And The Two Strings.

This was a phenomenal movie! We would all see it again! It's everything that Sausage Party was not. It was mesmerizingly beautiful, had a coherent story, humor and sadness, and most importantly, a surprising lesson at the end. It stressed the importance of family, love and honor. And the "origami" was just plain magical.

I might be too cynical, having been raised in NYC. But the Villagers' reaction to an old man in their midst after a terrible battle is one that really surprised me in a most heartfelt way. I won't spoil the movie by revealing specifics. I can only extort you to go see this wonderfully creative movie. Stay for the ending credits and listen to Regina Spektor sing George Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I'm not a Beatles fan, but this was great. And there's a tiny bonus clip regarding the stop-action set that's entertaining to watch.



Wednesday Workout

30 min X trainer
143 cal
3.44 miles
6.86 average speed

HGPU 31
Knee Ins 50
Push ups 100
Crunches 3 X 50
Planks 2 X 60 sec

Cuban DB Press
5 lbs X 12
8 lbs X 12
10 lbs X 12

30 min elliptical
Prgrm 2
290 cal
2.56 miles

6.0  miles total cardio

HGPU 41

3 comments:

  1. Be glad they sent your hubs to Houston. There's a hurricane bearing down on Tallahassee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be glad they sent your hubs to Houston. There's a hurricane bearing down on Tallahassee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubs got totally cancelled and drove to the airport for nothing. But he's glad he's not in Florida right now. Of course, he's got to go to Houston and Tallahassee next week. :(

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...