Thursday, August 25, 2016

Priorities

I took my son to Sausage Party on Tuesday, and was pleasantly surprised that the clerk only charged me $5 per ticket even though it appeared to be a Sony Pictures film. I'd been warned by various friends that the movie was extremely and perhaps uncomfortably sexual in nature. My son assured me that he was mature enough to view such matters. I'll admit there were moments when I cringed in my seat, mostly in scenes depicting same-sex shenanigans. And even though I consider myself fairly open-minded and tolerant, I wasn't really thrilled about the idea that orgies are the answers to everything, including questions about a just and loving god, and the meaning of life. Seriously.

My son's main concern was that the foods were stereotypical depictions ("Mom, isn't this racist?"), and that the movie was being disrespectful of various religions. I guess if you poke fun at everyone, it's okay and no one will call for a jihad on your ass. Still, I was glad to see that my son was able to see past the flailing arms and legs. The theater itself was fairly empty save for a row of teenage boys, and a pair of fat middle-aged men with a teen and his kid brother in tow. And that kid was younger than my son.

My son developed the sniffles so I let him sleep in on Wednesday, thereby missing the only time I could take him to the gym with me and park him in Child Care. They also have Child Care at 4pm but I'm told it's extremely crowded, and a rowdier crew in the gym. I'll pass.

Today I cut my rounds for kickboxing the machine and skip the post-boxing cardio. Because I just don't have time. Two hours is not enough time to stash my gear, do a 10-min warm up, 15 rounds of kickboxing, 20 min of cardio, pull ups, change and shower and dress. 15 rounds alone is 60 minutes. Today, I only do 11 rounds. And my brother calls between rounds so there's that. His father-in-law has passed away and he'd like us to check out the cemetery plot because he's heard that sometimes plots bought long ago are rendered unusable by acts of nature. Like trees.

My arms are still tired when I attempt my first and only set of pull ups. I actually get 36, but there is such a difference (to me, at least) between the first rep where my face is clearly above the bar, and the last rep where I'm struggling to get my nose to the bar. Tomorrow will just be a cardio and body weight day. Because that's all I can do in two hours.

Thursday's Workout

10 min elliptical
95 cal
0.84 miles

Nexersys
5 r beginner
3 r intermediate
3 r advance

HGPU 36

Photos posted for actual stats

5 rounds Beginner (always a great warm up)

3 rounds Intermediate (these rounds are so unpredictable!)

3 rounds Advance (the 2nd round was really hard because it was mostly sweep-combinations like Cross-Power Sweep, which tends to throw you off-balance)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...