Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Killer Heat

The pool last night was eerily quiet. Our swim class was minus one member, and the air conditioning unit wasn't quite working properly. The water seemed fine though. Which is good, considering how much of it I drank. Unintentionally, I assure you. I'm having trouble coordinating my stroke with taking a breath in freestyle. Well, that's one of the reasons I'm in an Adult Beginner class! Being in the pool for 45 minutes is having a softening effect on my skin. Or maybe it's the ungodly high humidity and tropical temps. My skin, unlike the rest of me, loves this weather. It's not dry, flaky or feeling two-sizes-too-tight. Somewhere in my genetics, I have ancestors from equatorial climates. Ugh. The rest of me hates it. I'd much rather be shoveling snow. Seriously. Although the mosquitoes haven't been horrible lately, but that might be because I slather myself with tea tree oil products, or lemon eucalyptus oil when I go out.

The gym is crowded this morning but quickly empties out as the day moves on. I get my warm up done and then brace myself for whacking the machine. I'm drenched by the Intermediate rounds. My determination to push through is fueled by the thought that I'm improving my cardio endurance. Yep, gotta run long and fast to outpace the zombies.

My left inside elbow is feeling strained. The knuckles of that hand sting a little. I've got to tape my pointer fingers better because some how they're getting bruised, either by my own hands, or the edges of the punch pads on the machine. I'm exhausted when I'm done, but I know better. I'm not really done yet. There's still 30 min on the elliptical, and then, as many hammer grip pull ups as I can muster. Oh boy!

I finally remember that I don't like the leather Asics I have on because they really suck when I do cardio, rubbing and pinching the sides of my feet. The Rykas are better. I take a long time at the Stretch Cage because I'm actually a bit stiff, and I don't want to injure myself. While I'm standing there, a guy I've seen around asks me if he can get a stretch in. I'm not even sure if I said okay. I just stepped aside and looked at the torso twist machine. He hangs from the roof cage rungs and that's it. Earlier I'd seen him on the Assisted Pull Up machine so I'm not impressed. But I'm hard to impress. Seriously, I don't know what this guy was thinking... but now I think even less of him. Yep.

My son has a sleep-over play date later. I'm not sure when I have to stop calling these things "play dates" but I suspect it'll be soon. Meanwhile, I'm debating whether we'll see The Suicide Squad or Sausage Party next Tuesday for our movie day. The latter got a surprisingly good review from the NY Times. Click here for the link to read the review. The only bummer is that it's a Sony Pictures release, and Sony doesn't allow theaters to provide discount tickets... but it might be worth the matinee price.



Friday Workout

10 min warm up Elliptical
97 cal
0.86 miles

15 rounds Nexersys

30 min Precor
283 cal
2.52 miles

HGPU 33! Wahoo! 


5 rounds Beginner (warm up) 

5 rounds Intermediate (crazy rounds) 

5 rounds Advance (better than I expected) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...