Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Pulling Things Up

My son and I saw and enjoyed Suicide Squad yesterday. I had no idea that it was a sequel of sorts to the Superman Vs Batman movie out earlier this year. I was wondering why the Bat looked a little fat in the jowls, and unshaven. Christian Bale never looked unkempt. But Ben Affleck is another story. I also had no idea that everything and everyone is tied to favored superheroes and villains in Gotham, Arrow and The Flash. Imagine my surprise when Viola Davis emerges as Amanda Waller, who I'm pretty sure, was killed off in last season's Arrow. But no one ever stays dead in superhero land. Just like in SuperNatural!

Today is a Pull Day, and even though I got enough sleep, I'm still tired. I see a friend when I dismount the X-trainer and I excitedly tell her that I've got two photo shows back to back next summer. She's happy for me as I promise to give her postcard invitations to the receptions! Meanwhile, creepy PJPants is on the treadmill, peering over his shoulder while straining to hear what we're talking about. Well, certainly not him.

The first set of pull ups is always the hardest, but that's psychological. It's doubt that makes me linger before I grab the roof bars of the Stretch Cage. I shouldn't have doubts anymore, but I do. My right knee is off today. My left hip is also a tad iffy. After push ups, crunches and planks, I head off to the racks. There's a fellow in the Smith doing seated OHPs so I drop my gear in the MaxRack station. I don't like the MaxRack. It's much heavier than the Smith and has odd limitations. When I start doing SLDLs there, my knee and lower back feel wrong. I try adjusting my stance but nothing really helps. Which means, as soon as the Smith is free, I move all my gear over and pick up where I left off. SLDLs, followed by RG BB Rows. This pulling motion is exhausting, and I worry that I'll be too tired to do any sets of pull ups later. Of course, I'm being silly.

My braided ponytail keep flopping down my shoulder in a distracting way. I'm half tempted to secure it to my head in a sloppy bun just to keep it out of my face. I so miss having short hair! Other than constantly pulling at my sports bra straps because the hardware is biting into my shoulder and upper pecs, I don't pay much attention to my clothes. But I'm reminded of a post on a muscle site of a gal who complains that guys stare at her when she's trying to do leg raises so she doesn't do them. I suggested that she face a wall, and wear longer shorts. She'll consider finding a wall but doesn't think she'll ever wear long shorts. Okaaaaay now. Because why? They're not cute? They're not sexy? Uh, what was the complaint again?

No curl biceps
I'm back to doing RG BB Rows after SLDLs. It feels pretty good. Using the Smith actually mitigates the issues I'm having with my right knee and lower back. But I'm tired and I do a set of pull ups before starting the Seated One-Arm Cable Rows. The latter are more biceps work than anything else I do, and I think my biceps are doing okay in spite of not doing any curls. I see some old faces again. Tattoo Braid is back. Blondie is back, wearing the oddest patterned tights under gym shorts and a hoodie. The Mayor minus his son. Several ancient guys. But I love seeing Goldilocks on the treadmill. She is the cutest little girl — all business and no-nonsense, although I'm tempted to call her Alice because truly, she's the living embodiment of Alice from Wonderland with her straight blonde hair, pale skin and upturned nose.

I do an extra set of Knee-Ins when the Stretch Cage is in use. The Hindu-looking, bespectacled "Accountant" sits across from me staring, and I ignore him. He's just as creepy as the other old guys. Except this guy never wipes down anything he uses. Blech! He never busts a sweat either, so I'm not really sure why he even attempts the assisted pull up machine. I'm fairly oblivious to most people, but today I notice an old lady watching me do pull ups. She seems absolutely ecstatic when I drop down at rep 30 and pull back up for rep 31. I don't really push myself today, so I stop every time I reach 31. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to max out my reps. Honestly, pulling myself up is easier than pulling up weighted bars. I know it's not quite the same thing, but it's always useful.

Wednesday Pull Day Workout
(4.37 total cardio miles)

15 min X trainer
1.73 miles
72 cal
6.91 average spd

HGPU 31
Knee In 50
PU 100
CR 3 X 50
Bird Dog 2 X 60 sec

MaxRack SLDL
55 lbs X 15
75 X 12
95 X 12

Smith SLDL
12 X 80 lbs, 100, 120, 130

Smith RG Bob row
15 X 30 lb
12 X  80, 100
15 X 120, 130

Knee ins 50
HGPU 31

Seated one arm cable row
3 X 12 X 45 lbs

30 min elliptical
Prgm1
302 cal
2.64 miles

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...