Monday, August 8, 2016

Applied Knowledge

My shoulders and upper back are the tiniest bit sore and stiff when I get to the gym this morning. Probably from sitting in front of my computer all weekend when not sitting in front of the TV watching the Olympics. I can't resist Ooohing and Aaaahing at all the super-powerful tiny gymnasts. My husband likes to watch Beach Volleyball ever since he witnessed actual games during a business trip to Canada last year. And now that I'm taking a swim class, I'm even more excited by the perfect Olympic forms in the water. I can't even come close to replicating any of this, but at least I understand "rock 'n roll" during the backstroke. Yes, I've finally learned how to do the backstroke. And now I understand "look down and keep your neck long for speed" as cameras catch the swimmers from below. It's very exciting, and my husband confesses to me that he's thinking of taking a swim class. Even though he can swim, he says he can't keep up with our son. I think he might get bored though, because I'm pretty sure he can tread water.

I'm maintaining my 15 minute warm up on the LifeFitness Cross-trainer, even though I'm paranoid that this will make me fat. At least my feet aren't numb anymore when I walk to the Stretch Cage. I've cut my mileage by approximately 2 miles per session and I wonder how my body will adapt. I'm making up those 15 minutes by adding sets to my Push routine. Now instead of an "either or" approach to flat bench and inclined bench, I do both. I only do 3 super sets for shoulders though, but Rip Skulls are a staple now. My only concern is whether to add DB Flyes or not. I'm not sure they'd really benefit me. Online sources suggest that DB Flyes increase chest volume and width, and potentially lung capacity. Hmmm. Who doesn't want a bigger chest with more room to inhale? I'll still need to think about it a bit longer though.

I'm vexed that I can't amend my workout on the fly in the FitNotes app. The gym is crowded momentarily, with all the inclined benches in use by the time I'm ready for Inclined Presses. So I move my gear over to the Breaker Inclined Benches. This means I'm using a free 45-lb Olympic bar instead of an attached 30-lb Smith bar. My routine is mostly the same, but there are differences. The bench is at a set angle and distance from the stays so it's harder. In the Smith, I can adjust the angle of the bench and move it closer or further to suit my arm length. Still, I get my sets done.

3/4 angle is usually
the most flattering
I see an older guy moving some hefty DBs. His form seems pretty decent so I wouldn't exactly call him a newbie. Just a new face. He seems perplexed by me though, because unlike the smattering of other women in the weight area, not only am I not chatty and just coming from a class, I actually have muscles. That's probably why people get out of my way, not that I'm pushy or anything. But I might actually look like I know what I'm doing. Surprise! Doing hammer grip pull ups is always what really gets them. I've seen a bunch of middle-aged guys at this gym for over 5 years who still can't do a single actual pull up. They do spend time at the assisted pull up machine, but I don't think that's doing them any favors. And I have serious doubts that they know what they're doing.

Monday Workout
(4.42 miles total cardio)

15 min X trainer
65 cal 7.32 av spd
1.83 miles

Hammer Grip Pull Ups 31

Knee ins 50

Push Ups 100

Crunches 3 X 50

Bird Dog planks
2 X 60 sec

Smith flat bench
15 X 30 lbs, 80
12 X 100, 120
25 X 90

DB Lat S/S w Bent Over Flyes
3 X 20 X 12/20 reps

Breaker Inclined Bench
45 lbs (bar only) X 20
65 X 12
75 X 12 X 3
55 X 25 reps

Rip Skulls
12 X 30, 35, 40
8 X 45 lbs (elbows!)

30 min Precor elliptical
Prgm 1
294 cal
2.59 miles

HGPU 31

2 comments:

  1. I'm a wee bit sore today too, having added Good Mornings to my workouts. Also we added a second power cage to our garage gym and it has a lat pull down/seated row attachment.

    I find my chin ups are progressing, but my pull ups are still very limited. You impress me with your ability to do pull ups and the pushup variations you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! But I'm afraid that my pull ups aren't anything spectacular though since they are hammer grip pull ups, which are much easier on the joints! And I'm down to just one big set of regular wide hand push ups.

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...