Friday, June 17, 2016

The Week's End

I'm surprised to see 80 visits to my blog post and can only surmise that it's due to the Organic Valley label. How disappointed those folks must be when they stumble across my blog and realize that there's only a link to the Organic Valley website, and a vague discussion about sugar alcohols. I don't like to mislead people.

Today I had thought to do a full body workout, incorporating Smith Benches and Smith SLDLs, but as always, I listen to my body for cues. And today my body said,"The lower back's a bit iffy." My hip isn't twinging anymore but my lower back occasionally gets stiff and troublesome. I figure as long as I get my hour of cardio in, I'm good. The push ups make my right hand tender. I need better gloves. Smith benching starts out tenuous, but gets better as I add plates. I probably could've done a set at 130 lbs but I'm not in the mood to nurse any injuries, and play in safe instead. I'll go for reps.

I like how I look when I do Smith Inclined Bench Presses: a full chest, V-shape torso and fairly distinct muscle groups. Sadly I can't take selfies when I'm benching: there's no place to position my phone! Oh well... I only do a few sets of DB Laterals superset with DB Reverse Inclined Flyes. I know I can do more, but I don't want to be here all day! Instead, I do a set of pull ups and then Intervals on the elliptical. I really enjoy pushing myself for the last intervals of the session, just to see if I can maintain over 200 SPM for over a minute. And I can. I'm drenched when I'm done, but it feels really good.

While I'm pedaling, I see a fat middle-age guy at the cable stations. He'd be less conspicuous if he weren't wearing a thick black hoody, emblazoned in front with thick white Celtic knots and gold sparkles. Seriously. I recognize him from seasons past when he was just a fat middle-age guy with a greying beard and thinning hair. I'm not sure what guys are thinking when they show up at the gym dressed like that to work out. The guys are the ones with the thick gold chains around their necks although I've seen quite a few women walking the treadmill with giant hoop earrings. Personally, I can't stand to have anything dangly on me when I'm working out. I don't even like it when my braided hair swings — it's distracting and annoying.

I want to lecture all the tall skinny girls who walk hunched over, ashamed of their height and their lanky limbs. Would it be forward of me to push my hand against their back to make them straighten up? Would I be overstepping if I showed them a profile photo of what they'll become if they continue this piss-poor posture? How can you breathe hunched over like that? Don't wish you were shorter! Be proud, and fierce! Confidence is the most alluring attractant, and anyone intimidated by it isn't worth talking to. I'm totally serious.

I do most of my Mat Stretch, but I'm changing the routine a bit because falling into a routine is bad. It means you don't really pay attention to how you're moving, and your body gets complacent. That only leads to either stagnation or injury. I have just enough time to shower, change and rush off to my son's school to check for permission slips. There's always a few parents who can't seem to follow basic directions, like fill out this permission slip. No, a generic note saying you give permission isn't good enough. Monday is our 5th grade Kiwi Night where kids can spend a few hours at Camp Kiwi, courtesy of our PTO. I'm the chair for this event. I can't wait until it's over. Seriously.

Tuesday is a school half day. I think I'll take my son to see Finding Dory at the local cinema, because Tuesday's is half price. Yaaay! I'm a sucker for a good kid's flick anyway.



Friday Workout
(6.64 miles total cardio; 18,744 lbs moved)

Warm Up
Calorie :   141 CAL
Distance: 4.01 mile
Speed :    8.01 mph
Duration : 00:30:03
209.07
Set 1 : 112x26
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
100
Set 1 : 100 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
168
Set 1 : 30x25
Set 2 : 80x15
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 90x25
112
Set 1 : 30x20
Set 2 : 50x15
Set 3 : 70x15
Set 4 : 80x12
35
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
Set 4 : 25x12 SuperSet with
41.67
Set 1 : 20x20
Set 2 : 20x20
Set 3 : 20x20
Set 4 : 25x20
209.07
Set 1 : 112x26
Intervals
Calorie :   301 CAL
Distance: 2.63 mile
Duration : 00:30:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...