Friday, September 19, 2014

Welcome DOMS

It's not often I wake up with DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). Today my hamstrings and to a lesser extent, my glutes, are a bit sore. Must've been those Smith SLDLs followed by Glute Ham Raises on the Lat Pull Down station. I must be doing them right! The rest of me feels okay though, or at least I don't register any soreness until I start kickboxing the machine. Hmmm. My back is a tad sore too. Guess I did those Smith RG BB Rows right too. What's not sore is my chest, delts and triceps because, as I've said before, Benching isn't nearly as hard as doing Push Ups for reps. Don't believe me? Try getting three sets of 50 reps. Toss in a few Hammer Grip Pull Ups between your sets. Yep, I'm daring you.

My plan was to continue with cardio 3x next week, a body weight workout one day next week, and one day for actual weight training. Except I forgot that there's no school next Thursday and Friday due to the High Holy Days. So I'll have my son with me. Which means Abbreviated workouts. Okay, no problem. I'll just lift weights on Tuesday, and pray I can get use of the Smith machine. Today there's a father-son tag team on the Smith. Good thing I'm just doing HIIT cardio on the elliptical, and whacking the Nexersys. Oh, and some crunches and pulse-ups for good measure to end the week.

I see a few regulars today. The parking lot is ridiculously crowded but there aren't that many people at the gym. It's puzzling. It's a beautiful crisp Autumn day so maybe everyone's gone for a run outside? Again, I'm not really warmed up after 10 min of cardio. Round 4 is when I start sweating. But at least I didn't actually blank the machine today although I did stop it more than once. There is one combination round that continues to flummox me because I can't seem to center myself quick enough so my accuracy is lower for that round than any other. It's a right Cross followed by a Lead Kick. I usually stand with my left forward so I have to body cross to punch, and then step back slightly to use the left foot to lead kick, otherwise I'm too close and the kick is paltry and barely registers. But the power is good and I make most of my strikes. It's very satisfying.

Friday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.81 miles

Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me (60 min)
  Accuracy 98% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 142%

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 5 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.83 miles

50 crunches / 50 pulse ups / 50 crunches

Photos posted for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...