Monday, September 29, 2014

Day One. Again.

I don't get to the gym today until nearly 11:30 am because my hubs is leaving today for Boston and he'll be gone for two weeks straight. Normally he's back on the weekends. You'd think I'd get used to "single parenting" by now, but even I need a break every now and then, or at least someone to share it with. I had a very good time at the Saturday archery seminar my hubs took me to. It ran from 9 am to 5:30 pm, but it was a good 2 hrs travel time each way.

We were told we'd discover muscles we never knew we had. Actually we didn't. And Sunday, we spent time in our yard practicing the basics of the first things we'd learned about stance, arm positioning, grip, and aiming. We're looking for consistency and tight groupings at a measly 5 yards from the target, but you'd be surprised how difficult it is to maintain the same anchor point, the same stance, the same grip each time you shoot once you find a combination that works for you. I bought a kid's bow at Kmart, thinking it'd be easier to shoot for long periods of time rather than using my 22 lb recurve. But I was wrong. The 15 lb (draw weight) kid's bow actually seemed harder to pull! Oh well. My son can grow into that one since his compound is probably about 10-12 lbs.

I get my 10 minutes of cardio (4 min of Tabata) while D is finishing up her last rounds whacking the left side Nexersys. The right side machine is too flaky and most regular users of this machine prefer the left one now, in spite of the glare. As do I. I'm slacking today, so I punch in 15 rounds (60 minutes) at the Beginner Level. There's a sign under the screen that says Users should restrict themselves to 7 rounds or 30 minutes, but I figure as long as no one is waiting in line, WTH.

During the 14th round though, a fellow comes by, looks at my screen and then pulls his gloves on to box the right side machine. He seems to be doing the Intermediate Sparring, judging by the sweeps and knee-ups. As soon as I'm done with my 15 rounds, he moves onto the left side machine. Because it's less flaky. And we all know it. Not to say that it's perfect. The machine's accuracy scoring is suspect again. I still haven't figured out how it can give me a score of 92% when I've hit all my targets (as evidenced by 100% strikes)? There is one round that the machine seems unable to register strikes properly and ghost targets light up the screen. Oh well... When I'm done I do another 10 minutes on the elliptical, with 6 minutes Tabata time. It doesn't feel all that bad anymore. A quick lower and upper back stretch on the Mat with some ab work, and I'm done! Yay!

Monday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.81 miles

Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me (60 min)
  Accuracy 93% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 143%


10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 6 min Tabata + 2 min steady state = 0.78 miles

50 Crunches / 50 Alternating Bicycles / 50 Pulse Ups

photo posted for actual stats: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...