Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Procrastination Takes Many Forms

Another early Autumn morning even though it's not quite mid-September. If I'm wearing a fleece hoodie over my sweatshirt, it's Autumn. Never mind the fallen yellowing leaves. Winter is coming. I still wear my capris leggings to the gym but I've swapped my ratty all-cotton hoodie for the new fluffy synthetic one. It's bigger and softer, but the pockets are shallower and I have to be mindful of losing my phone.

I get to the gym a little late because it takes me a while to get into gear once I put my son on the school bus. I need to tape my hands and make sure I've actually put clean clothes in my gym bag. Today is HIIT cardio and whacking the Nexersys, my favorite thing to do. HIIT cardio always sucks. I don't even know why I do it. It's not as if I'm getting better at it. Maybe my expectations are too high. A quick stretch at the Cage and then 15 rounds smacking the machine. Again, a few of the rounds are vexing because the machine doesn't register the Lead Dig (left side, mid-body) for certain combos. When I'm done, I'm drenched, but by no means tired. That's kind of odd.

I decide to explore the system a little more and punch in 3 rounds for the Striking Program but quickly realize that it's all but useless because you can't hear anything the video instructor is saying over the din of the gym. Cancel that. Okay, how about 3 rounds Sparring. I used to do this program on the other machine last year. After the first of 3 rounds I cancel this program too because although the machine registers all my blows, it's not registering any of my "blocks". A "block" just means you tap the pad of the side of the avatar when it's fist lights up "blue" so you're effectively blocking your opponent's punch.

The avatar is green and gradually turns yellow, then orange, then red when you land successive blows. My avatar is bright red from all my combination punches, jabs and kicks, but says I've not blocked any blows. Worse, the machine beeps at me when I tap the left side and says I'm punching too hard and in danger of breaking the equipment. Can't win here, so I exit the program and complain to the gal at the front desk. Apparently it's happened to her too, but she thought it was just her. "I'll get P to reset the machine," she tells me. I toy with the idea of logging onto the other machine, but realize that I really should just get my other 10 minutes of cardio out of the way. Although I can't quite get the same top speeds as earlier, I'm surprised that I can actually get over 250 SPMs. For a few seconds at least.

I'm just procrastinating. I have things to do at home. Like pulling all the vines off my hedges and trimming back the growth that's suddenly made our driveway look like a tunnel.Yep, fun things. The gym scale is still broken and as I'm showering I realize that I'm starving hungry. Bleah.

Tuesday Workout


N/A
Calorie :   84 CAL
Distance: 0.8 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

N/A
Calorie :   85 CAL
Distance: 0.81 mile
Duration : 00:10:00


Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me Avatar (60 min)
  Accuracy 97% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 139%


photo for actual stats

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...