Monday, September 15, 2014

Mixing It Up Again

I love my husband but I'm so used to getting out the door and off to the gym as soon as my son is safely aboard the school bus that I was literally pacing my kitchen waiting for my hubs to get himself squared away for his weekly trip to Boston. Normally he leaves at 5 am. Today he didn't leave until 10:45 and it was making me crazy. I'd already had my normal breakfast of instant coffee and oatmeal at my normal time 7 am. So by the time I go to the gym I was hungry again. And I hadn't even done anything yet. Which put me in a really bad mood. People driving in an antihistamine haze don't help either.

As I'm warming up on the elliptical, I see D approach the Left Nexersys machine, the good one. Oh well, I sigh to myself. Maybe she'll only do a few rounds. The HIIT cardio is much harder when it's the first cardio you've done in a few days. I linger at the Cage for a few minutes, wondering if I shouldn't just revert back to my old routine of push ups, pull ups and deep knee bends instead. But that would mean getting back on a Cross-trainer for an additional 2+ miles first. Can't win today. I chat briefly with D. She's doing 7 rounds and only has 2 rounds left, so I set up the Right Nexersys for Beginner Sparring, 1 round. It's vexing. Every other blow stops the machine and it doesn't register any blocks on the Power side or any kicks.

When she's done, I grab all my gear and toss it under the Left Machine. I'm there for an hour because I punch in 15 rounds. It's not my best effort, but I enjoy it anyway. I'm listening to the new U2 album and perhaps it's not the best music for kickboxing, but it's a change from my regular cardio mix. After I strip off my gloves and wraps, I blot my face and go back to the ellipticals for another 10 minutes of cardio, half of it Tabata mode. It's excruciating, but I'm happy I can get myself to rev up to 254 SPMs. I pull my hoodie back on to drop onto the Mat and knock out a scant 50 crunches and stretch out my lower back before I go in to change and shower.

There's a new scale in the locker room and I hold my breath before stepping onto it. I know that between water retention from eating salty foods and drinking beer, my weight is up. It reads 111.0 lbs which isn't horrible, but more than I like. It's hard to eat decently when my husband is only home on weekends because we tend to eat out and I like to kick back with a few beers. When I get home I check my own scale. It reads 109.2 lbs. I'm okay with that. What's a bummer is that the BF reading is up again: 19.9%. Ugh. I've got a lot of work to do if I ever want to drop it below 19%.

Monday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.82 miles

Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me (60 min)
  Accuracy 96% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 140%

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 5 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.82 miles

50 crunches

2x25@50 lbs Torso Twist machine

Photo posted for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...