Monday, September 22, 2014

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

I totally ate and drank too much this weekend, and not all "good" food. Too many refined carbs! Because pizza, even loaded with garlic, olives, 'shrooms and meatballs, is still pizza. And apple ale is still beer. Chinese noodles and pork buns? Well, there's no way to make those even vaguely low-carb. Cardamom gelato? Pumpkin gelato? Sea salt caramel and coconut gelato? Mango gummies and taro cream wafer cookies? The cooler temps and festive falling leaves make me want to nestle inside a fleece hoodie and nap. But I know better. So against my inclination to feast and hibernate, I pull on my gym gear, tape my hands and go to the gym.

I'm not sure how the Sports Season cycle works but suddenly every store is having a sale on sports tape so I stock up on several rolls. Last year I couldn't buy a roll under $5, now the supermarket is selling them 3/$5.95 which is less than $2 a roll. And yes, they're the same 1.5" x 10 yards white sports tape. I had a bulk order in my Amazon basket but I'm the type to leave stuff in my cart for a few weeks while I determine whether I can buy it cheaper elsewhere. And it turns out, I can buy it at ShopRite cheaper than on Amazon. Yay!

The parking lot is crowded so I'm worried that the gym is too. Turns out that it's mostly women taking classes. There are new faces, and some returning old faces that've been absent all summer. They don't look any better for having been away. Tabata Cardio sucks on a Monday. My kickboxing seems off as well, but I'll blame that on the fact that the machine's left foot is only half on the rubber mat. I stop the machine a few times, it doesn't register a few of my kicks. I'm wearing heavier workout pants because it was chilly this morning, but they make me feel itchy as the rounds progress. Guess I won't be wearing these for kickboxing again.

This new tape is super sticky and I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to peel it off my right pointer finger. Back to the cardio platform for another 10 min of cardio (5 min of Tabata). I'm actually getting better at this even though I complain vociferously (to myself). Then back to the Mats for abs. I toy with the idea of doing an alternate version of crunches, say, bicycle twists, but I'm too lazy to do anything new right now. I just want to get my 50 reps per set, stretch out my shoulders and lower back and be done so I can go shower. I still want to take a nap, but at least I'm awake. More or less.

Monday's Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.79 miles

Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me (60 min)
  Accuracy 95% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 140%

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 5 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.8 miles

50 crunches / 50 pulse ups / 50 crunches

photo posted for actual stats: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...