Thursday, September 11, 2014

Unexpected Improvements

This is week three of my "abbreviated" workout plan. I'm not sure how long I should run it before switching it up again, perhaps gradually adding a few iron exercises back into the fray. It's hard to say because so far I'm liking where this particular program is taking me. As I've said all along, I don't want to be big. It's hard to be big if you don't have the height to carry it. And I definitely don't have height. What I seem to have is an ability to put on size if I lift heavy. So I stopped and concentrated on endurance and body weight exercises that still require strength.

Yesterday I managed to get tantalizingly close to 50 reps per set of push ups. And my hammer grip pull ups got better. I spend less time working out now, but my workouts are just as intense. Maybe more so if only because I'm rushing between movements. Today isn't much different except that whacking the Nexersys has a rest time of 1 minute between 3-minute rounds. It's a lot like HIIT cardio in that respect. I'm even seeing improvements in the 4 and 5 minutes bouts of Tabata that I do within the 10 minute cardio window before and after kickboxing. I'm able to get my speeds up and maintain them before dropping to a crawl while gasping for breath.

Overall, my Power has increased exponentially, although glitches with the Nexersys cast doubts on the Accuracy scoring. If you hit 116 out of 116 blows, wouldn't you expect your score to be 100% and not 99%? I stop the machine several times, and at one point I see something fly off the back of the center pad I've just punched. When I'm done, I gather up the bolt and several washers I find on the floor under the machine and give them to the gal at the front desk. Ooops.

The gym scale is still MIA but the shower feels good. I've turning the water to the coldest setting for the last minute because I've read that it's not only good for your pores, and keeps you from sweating all over again, but that it boosts T-levels so critical in maintaining muscle mass. When I exit the gym I see D at the boxing machine so I chat with her for a few minutes, warning her that there are pieces missing. "I wish they would fix these things," she tells me. Then I see R at the cable station so I chat with him as well. He's got photos of his son on his phone and he eagerly shows them all to me. I tell him that his son looks like his wife and he says I'm the only one who's ever said that. Oh well.

Tomorrow is another cardio full body workout. I might be tired though. Yeah, right.

Thursday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.79 miles

Nexersys 15 rounds (60 min) Beginner Follow Me
  Accuracy 97% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 144%

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 5 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.9 miles

photo for actual stats:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...