Thursday, March 6, 2014

Is Cardio Making Me Fat?

I got to the gym knowing exactly what I wanted to do today: HIIT cardio, boxing, LISS cardio. In that order. And that's what I did. Although my walk portion of the HIIT routine was more akin to a jog, so I did log in slightly higher mileage. I suspect it's because my quads are feeling a tad tired today and I tend to push through soreness. The LISS portion on the steps left me sweaty at nearly 21 minutes, but I could read and text on my phone so I figure I was going "slow enough". Still, I know I'm getting fat. Or fatter. My shape has changed, and I'm not liking how tight my pants waistbands are becoming.

I don't worry about any of that when I wrap my hands. I'm using a full wrap for my right hand and I can barely stuff it inside the pepto-pink kickboxing gloves. I only use half a wrap for my left. I've seen the videos that show how to wrap each finger, but I'm worried that then I truly won't be able to get my hands inside my gloves so I just wrap my pointer finger and then wrap my entire knuckle and wrist. However, when I'm done, I've got screaming pink bruises on the first two knuckles of both hands. Well, at least I didn't break any skin. Yet.

I'm not expecting the Nexersys to be funky like last week, but it is, not registering Cross Punches, Power Kicks or Digs. I tell the gym owner (he's conveniently at the front desk just a few feet away) and move my gear over to the next machine. It's even worse. The gym owner comes over and resets both machines. He's got replacement parts on order but is worried he's going to have to take them to the shop. When the system comes back online, the machine works like a dream. I'd planned to do seven rounds Beginner and then seven rounds Intermediate, but my fat gloved hands are clumsy and I wind up with just five rounds Beginner. Oh well. I make it up by selecting nine rounds Intermediate so I still have 14 rounds in total.

I feel really good when I'm done so I pull my hoodie back on and climb onto the Step Mill. Afterwards I just do some abs, a quick lower back stretch and then off to shower. When I get home, I compare today's Nexersys rounds with last weeks and I'm pleased to see progress. I'm getting better at the Intermediate round in all aspects and that makes me happy. What I'm not happy about is the fasting annual physical I have tomorrow at noon. No food after 6 am. I still plan to work out, but I'm debating whether I should get up at 5 am just to east oatmeal so I can manage a decent workout before I go see the doc. I want to know if I have any thyroid issues that could be causing me to put on body fat. I wish menopause was better understood. All I know is that women tend to get fat as they age, and that just wasn't in my plans.

Thursday Workout
20:26 min:sec Precor elliptical HIIT: 45 sec run / 75 sec jog = 1.98 miles
(my quads slightly sore which is unusual for me; legs feel a little tired)

Cage Stretch

Nexersys 5 rounds Beginner Female
  Accuracy 89% / Strikes 100% / Average Power 141%
(stopped the machine several times by punching or kicking too hard)

Nexersys 9 rounds Intermediate Female
  Accuracy 84% / Strikes 102% / Average Power 109%
(the last two rounds were over 120%)

20:45 min:sec Matrix Step Mill = 992 steps

50 crunches / 50 knee to elbow crunches / 75 crunches
Lower back Mat Stretch

photos for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...