Monday, March 31, 2014

I'm Not Done Yet!

The only thing I got was a little soreness in my abs from yesterday's mini-cardio workout. I don't go full-force when I'm with my son because I'm always half watching him just to make sure he doesn't fall off the equipment. He's shorter and smaller than I am so I know there's a lot of things to bump into if you're not paying close attention. He's still frustrated about his density, but I have to say that his push ups have greatly improved since I started bringing him to the gym. He's a very solid little boy.

The weather's been blustery and wet all weekend and this morning was no different. I got to the gym and I just wasn't feeling it. But sometimes those are the best days. I did my 20 min on the Precor but I just loped along at a leisurely 150 Strides Per Minute until the last few minutes of the session. Then I sped up to 180 just to get a bit sweaty. I've been psyching myself up to push heavier on the Bench, and I admit that the thought terrifies me a bit. The bar is easy. 95 lbs is actually easy. 115 lbs isn't bad either but I'm making sure to keep my reps low because I don't want to wear myself out. Not sure why, but the gym is a lot emptier than it's been for the past several Mondays. There's hardly anyone to ask for a spot. Sigh. I'm gonna have to ask M or the really tall dude he's always chatting with.

I tell him I can probably get it on my own but just in case. He's good about not touching the bar. I get 10 reps at 125 lbs all by myself. I feel great. I know I've probably ruined my chances of benching heavier but I needed to know I could get reps at 125. So I put two tiny plates on the bar and ask for another spot for 130 lbs. Six reps. All me! Yay! Then, just for the heck of it. I swap the 2.5 lbs for 5s and get M to spot one last time. Just because I want to see if I can do it all by myself. 135 lbs for 3 reps. All me! And I'm sooo happy! Now I know I can do 135 lbs. Maybe next week I'll skip 130 lbs and just go from 125 to 135 lbs. It's a plan at least.

The rest of the workout is hard but I get it done. I actually lose a rep on the BB Inclined Press but it doesn't concern me. My front delts are a bit twingey. I don't up any weights but I do add a set to the DB Lateral Raises. And a set to the Bent-Over DB Reverse Flyes. Keeping my head down is better for my lower back on this last movement, but it's such a small movement that I'm thinking of lowering the weight back down to 30 lbs. I like the way my arms and shoulders look.

The Step Mill is free so I grab my hoodie and climb up for 20 minutes. Afterwards, I do regular crunches and those horrid Knee to Elbow Crunches and then a Mat stretch with Dive Bomber Push Ups. After all those crunches, I can't bear to do planks so I skip that. The gym scale reads 113.8 lbs and I've drained my water bottle. Yesterday, my home scale read 110.8 lbs and BF of 20.8%. Whenever I lose or gain weight, my BF% changes accordingly, making it hard to feel as if I've put on muscle and not fat. Although I'm pretty damn sure I've put on muscle. Just not in the numbers.

Monday Chest and Delt Workout

20 min Precor = 1.88 miles

Flat BB Bench Press
12x45 lbs (bar)
10x95 lbs
8x115 lbs
10x125 lbs (just to see how many reps I could get)
6x130 lbs Yay! +5 lbs PR
3x135 lbs Yay! +10 lbs PR
8x115 lbs
20x95 lbs (for fun)

Inclined BB Press
12x45 lbs (bar)
10x65 lbs
10x85 lbs
7, 8, 8x95 lbs (lost a rep here)

Inclined DB Flyes
12x25 lbs (each arm)
4x12x30 lbs

Standing DB Lateral Raises
12x25 lbs (each arm)
5x12x30 lbs +1 set Yay!

Bent-Over DB Reverse Flyes
12x30 lbs
5x12x35 lbs +2 sets Yay!

20 min Matrix Step Mill = 1104 steps

Crunches: 50
Knee to Elbow Crunches: 50
Crunches: 100
Knee to Elbow Crunches: 50

Mat Stretch with 2x12 Dive Bomber Push Ups, splits, upper and lower back stretches

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...