Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Back Day Interference

I suspect that my Back Day Workout is having a negative effect on the Leg Day Workout that follows the next day. My lower back felt tired today, probably a combination of sets of Reverse Grip BB Rows and those Seated Lower Back Extensions. It didn't keep me from a good cardio jog on the elliptical: 20 minutes and 2 miles. But I couldn't get on the Smith machine (and the Squat rack was busy, not that I'm tempted to try it again) because a new guy was doing Inclined Presses on it.

I killed a little time chatting with B. I told her I didn't care about moving heavy weights on the Squat, or going deep because honestly, I didn't want to buy new pants. "But how can you not be buying new clothes with all the size you've put on?" I'm assuming she's referring to upper body. Shirts and tops don't matter to me because I wear them loose and baggy anyway. Heck, my favorite shirt is a boy's XL flannel button-down. It's the pants I care about. "What about those calves?" She's always been envious of my calves. "I don't work my calves," I told her but she remained skeptical. "If I worked them I'd never be able to wear winter boots, and I'm a hard to fit size with small wide feet." "Oh, I know all about hard to fit sizes," she replies. She has a lot of issues with her feet, although hers are bigger than mine.

I tell her that I'm starting to pop out of my size medium sports bras, and buying the next size up will depend on whether they're made for large busty women. Neither of us is particularly endowed, but if she's an A, then I'm a triple-A. Still, she's got a narrower frame, a smaller back and chest. But I lift a lot heavier than she does, and I outweigh her by 10-12 lbs even if she's got an inch on my height. However, she can Squat. In the Squat rack. She talks about going deep and I smile, because she's got much smaller legs than I have. I don't need the size. Heck, I'm perfectly happy with my legs the way they are. Except maybe I could use a bit more leg bicep just to even out the leg profile.

Flite Hack-Power Squat
I give up on the Smith machine and look at the two hack squat machines next to the leg press. One machine immediately looks too big for me, but the other one can probably be adjusted for someone of my height. I look around but don't see anyone I want to ask so I trot back to the front desk. They have new people there, but it's clear that they have no idea how anything works. K pops up and shows me how to adjust the Flite Hack/Power Squat machine. "I used to get nauseous on this thing," she confides. I'm surprised. I do a set of 20 reps. There's definitely a weight to this, even unloaded, but I can't quite determine how much it is, other than being heavier than a plain bar (45 lbs). Then I turn around and do a set of "power squats". Then another set of Hack Squats. Then Power Squats. I feel it in my quads and glutes, and a little in my knees. Later, when I get home, I try to find out how much wieght an unloaded Flite brand Hack Squat is, but the best I can get is 75 lbs for a different brand machine.

The Smith machine is finally clear but I don't feel like doing Smith Squats anymore. Instead, I set up for Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts. At least until I hit 140 lbs (assuming the bar is 30 lbs here). Then I'll only go to mid-shin to preserve my lower back. Still, I'm picking the bar up from the ground and lowering it completely at the end of the set because I'm standing on a Step platform. My lower back feels really tired and to be safe, I only do one set at 140 and then only one set at 150 lbs. I make a note to move my Leg Day Workout to either Thursday or Friday in order to give myself more recuperation time. As much as I like front-loading my heavy workouts at the beginning of the week, it's becoming counter-productive as the weights get heavier. And I don't want to risk injury.

Next are Seated Leg Extensions and Seated Leg Curls. I stick to my routine. The Leg Extensions feel easier than they did last week. Odd. The Leg Curls are just as uncomfortable as last week, and that's basically because I'm not big enough for the machine. My upper back is pressed against the seat, but my hips are slid forward just so I can get my feet over the ankle bar. So I'm at an angle instead of sitting straight up. A big dictionary against the seat back would probably help but I have no chance of finding that at the gym.

The Torso Twist is again in use so I clamber up to the Step Mill for 20 minutes. By the time I get down, the Torso Twist is free. What I don't understand is how people completely ignore problems, expecting the staff to know things by, I don't know, mind-reading perhaps. For example, the paper towel rack is empty on the cardio platform. While I was on the Step Machine, I saw several people walk up to it, see it was empty and then walk away to find another dispenser. No one goes to the desk to tell the staff to replace the paper towels. The Torso Twist machine is too close to the carpeted wall, and when doing the Right side rotation, the machine actually scrapes against the raised cardio platform. I've seen a good half dozen people use this machine today. No one says anything to the desk staff. Except me. Because I'm a big pain. And my OCD wants things to be set up correctly. I finish up by doing a few sets of crunches, and knee to elbow crunches. I really hate them, but probably not as much as I hate planks, which I skip today.

The gym scale reads 111.8 lbs. I'm pleased. I'm also so hungry I could eat my arm, but I wait until I get home to fix myself a protein shake. I bought a box of berry-flavored Quest bars (20gm protein) as well, just to check them out because I'm always looking for something good to keep in my bag. Reviewers state that they're best when gently nuked for a few seconds to warm them up. They taste pretty decent. I get gas at the BP station that I normally avoid like the plague because his gas price (unchanged for months now at $3.79/gal cash or credit) is now actually cheaper than the cheap gas station in my town, which now charges $3.77 cash and $3.87 credit. It's not just the gas price that's made me avoid this station, it's the slimey middle-eastern man behind the counter who thinks it's okay for him to ask me personal questions because I'm an Asian woman. I use a credit card today and never have to go inside to complete my transaction. Just the way I like it.

Leg Day Workout

20 min cardio Precor elliptical = 2,03 miles

Cage Stretch (no kicks or side stretches)

Flite Hack/Power Squat
unloaded x 20 reps facing forward
unloaded x 20 reps facing backward
unloaded x 20 reps facing forward
unloaded x 20 reps facing backward

Smith Machine SLDL
12x30 lbs (bar)
12x80 lbs
10x100 lbs
8x120 lbs

Smith Machine RDL
8x140 lbs
8x150 lbs

Seated Leg Extension
12x90 lbs
12x105 lbs
12x120 lbs
12x135 lbs

Seated Leg Curl
12x75 lbs
3x12x90 lbs

20 min Matrix Step Mill = 1008 steps

Torso Twist Machine
2x25x50 lbs

50 Crunches
50 Knee to Elbow Crunches
80 Crunches (meant to do 75 and got carried away)
50 Knee to Elbow Crunches

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...