Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stubborn or Persistent?

Top: 20 min Precor elliptical
Bottom: 20 min Matrix Step Mill
Nuance is everything, the fine line between being an admirably persistent suitor, or an unwanted scary stalker. When do we know when we've reached the limits of reason, and should we pay it any heed? Perhaps we just need to make minor alterations to the course. We'll still move forward, but just not quite the direction we originally intended. I've cut back on my HIIT cardio because it's probably interfering with my heavy lifts. I'm enjoying the gains I'm making strength-wise, but this means that dropping body fat is taking a back seat for now. I figure when I stall out in my lifts, it'll be time to take a break and ramp up the cardio. At least I have a plan of sorts.

Today I'm working Back so I only do 20 minutes of Steady-State cardio to warm up. I need at least 20 minutes to feel warm. A quick set with just the bar to warm up for BB Rows, the first two sets done with a regular overhand grip. Again, once I hit 115 lbs, I put on the VGs and use an underhand (Reverse Grip) for the BB Rows. Now that I've worked my way up to using the Olympic bar for BB Rows, I can't imagine using the smaller solid BBs, even though using those took me over a year, inching up with 5 lb increments. Now it seems I'm leapfrogging, moving from 135 to 155 lbs in a single bound. It's odd and probably both mental and physical. 
It's more impressive in person

The first set of 155 is heavy but not like I remember. I can get 10 in quick succession, then take a breath before knocking out the remaining two reps. Last Friday I got 8 reps and it felt heavy, but I'd done some benching for reps prior. Today I need three sets, and since I just did 12 reps, I guess I need to do two more sets of 12 reps. And I do. I like the way I've structured my program because it makes the rows that much easier on Tuesday when I get a taste of it on Friday. I'm not so lucky with the One-Arm DB Rows.

The 55s are in use so I grab a 60 lb DB to start. It feels heavy so I only do 10 reps, trying to conserve my strength for the 65 because that's the weight I want sets. I'm sure people are surprised I can actually lift it off the rack and what the heck am I gonna do with that. Suddenly I'm surrounding by a lot of women using DBs. Flyes, lateral raises and one-arm DB rows with 10 to 20 lb weights. I'm glad to see that they've moved on from the plastic beauty bells. I recognize a few of them as Regulars and note that they're putting on a bit of muscle in their arms. It's good to see.

The fellow with the 55 lb DBs swaps them for the 60s, but I've got the 65s. When I'm done with my four sets, he asks if he can take it. I figure he doesn't know about the magnets so I mention them to him when I leave the DB area, just so he's not stuck waiting around just to move up 5 lbs. It's my good deed for the day, and now I'm under no obligation to be social whatsoever. I'd like to do Back Extensions next but the machine is occupied so I set up at the Lat Pull Down machine, swapping out the bar handle for a Neutral Grip one.

My arms are tired but the elbows don't complain today. I'm lucky I can actually complete my sets, but just barely. There is a grossly obese man lumbering around the gym, wandering between stations and machines. He doesn't actually seem to be doing any exercise unless this walking about is it. Last is the Lower Back Extension for three sets of 15 reps. Before I jump on the Step Mill, I knock out a quick set on the Torso Twist machine as well. I read my email and the forum posts while trudging up several hundred steps. I can even send a few replies before 20 minutes is up. I feel guilty about my abs so I do some crunches. The knee to elbow crunches are still awful and hard. A quick Cage Stretch and then I'm done. Yay!

Tuesday Back Day

20 min cardio elliptical = 2.00 miles

BB Row (warm up)
12x45 (bar)
12x95 lbs

RG BB Row (with VGs)
12x115 lbs
12x135 lbs
3x12x155 lbs Yay! +2 x 12 reps PR
20x115 lbs

One-Arm DB Rows
10x60 lbs
4x8x65 lbs +1, +8 reps Yay! PR

Neutral Grip Lat Pull Downs
12x90 lbs
10x105 lbs
8x120 lbs
3x6x135 lbs

Lower Back Extension
3x15x180 lbs

Torso Twist Machine
2x25x50 lbs

20 min Matrix Step Mill (speed 6) = 1126 steps

50 Crunches
50 Knee to Elbow Crunches
80 Crunches
50 Knee to Elbow Crunches

Cage Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...