Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Reaching Limits?

Today was Back Day, and because I didn't do any HIIT cardio yesterday, I did some today. Not a lot. About 15 minutes of 45 seconds On / 75 seconds Jog and then 5 minutes of steady state although my pace gradually crept from 160 Strides Per Minute to just over 200 by the time the session was over. I logged in 2 miles so I'm pretty happy with that. I see K in the locker room this morning as she's just on her way out. "Are you sore?" she asks me. I'm hardly ever sore so "No". Those Rip Crushers had me sore for a few days last week though, but as difficult as they were this past Friday, I didn't notice any soreness over the weekend.

My back feels better today so I'm ready to tackle those Reverse Grip BB Rows. I have to check my Jefit app because I never exactly remember how much I've done or for how many reps. Yep, technology is making my brain lazy. Kidding. My right wrist twinges at 95 lbs so I'm quick to put my VGs on for the next set at 115. It feels okay. Moment of truth when I plop on the last pair of 5s, bringing the total to 145 lbs. It's heavy but I can manage a full set although I notice that my left side seems to be pulling higher in the row. It's odd and I have to consciously adjust while staring into the mirror. In between sets, I notice women waiting for the BodyPump class to end. Some of them are trying not to stare. I'm trying not to smirk.

I know I could pull all those plates off and substitute a 45 and a fiver. It would raise the bar to just under my knees instead of mid-shin. That might make it easier to pull into position if I go heavier. Right now I'm pretty satisfied to stay at 145 for a while. Maybe work up to doing more sets. My left hip also feels a bit tweaked and I think that has to do with the left side pulling higher. I do three sets and then, just for fun, I drop down to 115 lbs and knock out 20 reps. I'm just hoping I haven't screwed myself for the One-Arm DB Rows.

A woman who regularly works out with one of the staff trainers is exercising in the corner of the DB area. They're out of the way, but also right in front of the DB rack. I don't want to waste my energy warming up with anything less than 55 lbs. They see me waiting and move gallantly out of the way, assuming that I want access to the beauty bells on the rack perpendicular to the heavy stuff. A wee bit of surprise when I grab the 55. I get my set done, return it and grab the next one up the rack until I get to 65. This is still godawful heavy and I need two hands to carry it to my bench. Last week I got sets of 6 so I want to do better by at least a rep. They're not pretty but they are Rows that kiss the floor, and I can bring up to just tap the side of my chest. Most of the time. Until I get tired.

I'm fairly satisfied since these were my two big heavy movements today and I did HIIT cardio beforehand. The rest is filler: Lower Back Extension machine and Close Grip (Neutral) Lat Pull Downs. I only plan to do three sets on the Lower Back at my max weight of 180 lbs so I just do as many reps as I can which turns out to be 15 reps per set. I can't go heavier without compromising my form so maybe I'll just add sets. The Lat Pull Downs always tweak my elbows so I move slowly and give myself plenty of rest between sets. Today my right knee is also bothering me, but only when I lean on the lap pad, or hook my legs under it, normally the right leg leading. Odd aches and pains. I use my left leg to lead instead and keep my right tucked behind it when I pull down.

I never get to use the Torso Twist machine today. There's always someone on it. Instead I chat briefly with D, do a Cage Stretch and then 20 minutes on the Step Mill. The gym scale reads 112.4 lbs and I'm fairly happy about the consistency. I may have reached my limits on my four back exercises but I don't mind doing reps. I just need to adjust my mindset.

Tuesday Back Workout

15 min HIIT: 45 sec run / 75 sec jog + 5 min Steady-State = 20:10 min cardio = 2.00 miles

Reverse Grip BB Rows
12xbar (45 lbs)
12x95 lbs
12x115 lbs
12x135 lbs
3x12x145 lbs PR +2sets & +reps Yay!
20x115 lbs

One-Arm DB Rows
12x55 lbs
10x60 lbs
8, 8, 7 x 65 lbs +2, +2, +1 rep Yay!

Seated Lower Back Extension Machine
3x15x180 lbs

Close (Neutral) Grip Lat Pull Down
12x90 lbs
10x105 lbs
8x120 lbs
3x6x135 lbs +set Yay!

Cage Stretch
20:12 min:sec Matrix Step Mill = 1006 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...