Thursday, March 27, 2014

Another Cardio Thursday

I so don't feel like doing cardio, much less HIIT this morning when I get to the gym. I'm tired. There's one Precor available so I clamber on and brace myself for at least 10 minutes of HIIT: 30 seconds On, 90 seconds Off. I do make it through the entire 20 minute session, stretch lightly at the Cage and then wrap my hands. I'm never able to wrap my hands the same way twice, and my right index knuckle is still bruised from last week. Yep, punching too hard.

Today I do a better job making sure my knuckles are tightly covered. I can barely get my gloves on. I forgot to put my iPod on the charger this week and there's just a sliver of battery power on the indicator. Hopefully it's enough to fuel me through my entire workout. I start out with my standard 5 round Beginner warm up. Sometimes the Nexersys doesn't register the Power (right) kick. Mostly, it's buzzing me with the Warning You Are Punching Too Hard screen. At one point, the entire screen goes blank for a second and then comes back on. Oops.

The Intermediate level is better prepared for my punches and kicks, but I'm less prepared for it's slurry of odd combinations. Sometimes I get my Jab and Cross mixed-up, lowering my Accuracy score. Oh well. I still haven't really figured out how to deliver an effective UpperCut either. By the last round I start to lose focus. I'm probably tired. From the HIIT cardio. I'm much less likely to stop the machine at the Intermediate level and I enjoy the faster pace. But 14 rounds is my limit today.

I strip off my damp gloves and wraps, put my hoodie back on and look for a cardio machine to do LISS. Steps are taken so I plant my butt on the recumbent bike. It's as low intensity as you can get! 20 minutes later, I've checked email and forum postings and am starting to feel a bit stiff. Need to do a little stretching before the shower. I don't actually plan to do a full Mat stretch but that's what I wind up doing, complete with Dive Bomber Push Ups and plank. The gym scale reads 112.6 lbs. My skin's not happy with the sudden changes in temperature either, and I'm constantly slathering salves and balms into my knuckles, heels and fingers. But at least the sun is shining and it's not snowing. Because at this time of the year, you just never know what to expect.

Thursday Cardio Workout

20 min HIIT Precor elliptical 30 sec On / 90 sec Off = 1.95 miles

Cage Stretch

Nexersys 5 rounds Beginner Female Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 92% / Strikes 102% / Average Power 140%

Nexersys 9 rounds Intermediate Female Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 89% / Strikes 102% / Average Power 112%
(strikes are greater than 100% mostly because I tend to smack the pad again after it tells me I'm punching too hard)

20 min LISS LifeFitness recumbent bike = 2.24 miles

Mat Stretch with 2x12 DBPUs and 60 sec plank, upper and lower back stretches, splits, etc

Photos for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...