Monday, February 24, 2014

Chest and Shoulder Monday

Top: Precor elliptical 20 min
Bottom: Matrix StepMill 20 min
I don't have a plan this week except to do as much as I can without spending the entire day at the gym. That seems to be awfully hard for me though. I find myself gravitating back to the longer intense workouts I started with, but perhaps that's what my body needs? The shorter workouts aren't doing much to decrease my body fat or increase my strength. Perhaps I'm not patient enough. I started my workout around 9 am today, and wound up being done a bit after noon. That's three hours. Granted, I started with a 20 minute cardio warm up and ended with 20 minutes of LISS on the Step Mill. So forty minutes of cardio and five minutes of stretching leaves me with two and a quarter hours of weight lifting. Not continuous, of course. But there was no chatting. Just resting between sets, and the time it takes to get from station to station.

Granted, today was an especially intense workout because I decided to hit chest and shoulders. I'm planning to do Back tomorrow, Legs on Wednesday, Boxing on Thursday and perhaps either Arms or Chest on Friday. I'm building in a buffer day in case Wednesday's snow storm is worse than anticipated. Perhaps I'm just reacting to next week's schedule because I have appointments with two different doctors (all routine) and the tax accountant. My ophthalmology appointment is at 9 am next Wednesday so I can have my eyes poked before I hit the gym. My annual physical isn't until noon on Friday, and they'll want to take a fasting blood sample. I still intend to go to the gym, but I know I'm going to feel awfully crappy by the time I get to the doctor.
Today's selfie

Meanwhile, I'll have to remember to send my brother a birthday card because there is one week in March when my brother and I are the same age. Then my birthday arrives, I'll turn 54, and two weeks from then my sister will turn 52. It's hard to believe we're all in our 50s. But I'm a firm believer in not acting my age. As long as I don't embarrass my son, I don't think anyone really minds. My husband certainly doesn't. I think he's glad he can take off for a week to work in Boston and not have to worry about the house or my son. My son's a bit bummed, but I've promised to take him to the gym with me this coming weekend. It'll be fun.

Chest and Shoulder Monday Workout

20 min Precor elliptical = 1.75 miles
BB Flat Bench Press
12x45 (bar)
10x75
8x95
5x115
5, 5, 3 x 125 lb probably could've gotten the last two reps if I had a spot
20x95 (just for fun)

BB Incline Bench Press
12x45 (bar)
12x65
8x85
3x5x95 lbs I don't know why these are so dang hard

BB Decline Bench Press
12x45(bar)
12x65
12x85 lbs felt the right front delt twinge and decided not to push my luck

DB Standing Shoulder Press
3x12x15 lbs right shoulder still felt odd so kept the weight low for this

DB Inclined Flye
12x20 lbs
3x12x25 lbs should probably up the weight next time

DB Bent-Over Reverse Flyes
12x20
12x25
3x12x30 lbs these felt surprisingly good

DB Lateral Raises
12x20
12x25
3x6x30 lbs these DBs are so much bigger than the 25s that they're unwieldy; I may get magnets next time and just use them on the 25s instead

20 min LISS on Matrix StepMill = 863 steps
Cage Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...