Thursday, February 27, 2014

Boxing the Blues Away

When the thermometer says 2°F, you might pause for a moment and consider whether to pull on the super-insulated winter boots or just brave the cold with your standard fleece-lined fare. Toes are less an issue than fingers because I can't just keep my hands stuffed into my pockets. No, the dog needs to be cleaned up after, and the feeder and suet holder need to be restocked and set out as well. Luckily, the sun is out and temps warm up to the high 20s today. The weekend promises to be be pleasant for winter although the word is Winter Storm Titan will be wreaking havoc, snow, sleet and ice upon most of the country before dumping a good 6 inches of the white stuff on us. Let me enjoy the sunshine while I can.

Top: 20 min Precor elliptical
Bottom: 20 min LifeFitness bike
I get to the gym at 8:30 am because I've dropped my son off at school for his extra gym class. It's good for little boys to run around like frisky puppies before class. My hamstrings are a little sore from yesterday and I decide that I'd rather spend my energy on boxing than cardio, so I only do 20 minutes of standard steady state cardio, although the longer I pedal, the faster my pace so I'm not sure that steady-state is accurate. I do a quick Cage Stretch and leave off the kicks since I'll be stomping the Nexersys anyway.

I'm really not happy with the way my gloves fit after I've wrapped my hands. I'm going to have to use a full length of wrap next time for the right hand. The left seems fine with just half a wrap, but I don't punch as hard with my left. I tap the monitor to start the Beginner Follow Me Avatar program for 9 rounds. I'll do 5 rounds of the Intermediate program after I've warmed up. Whoa! The system isn't registering my Cross! Or my Power Kick. The gym owner is at the front desk so I pause the system and tell him that the machine isn't registering blows correctly. Then I start up again on the other Nexersys, the one I don't like to use because glare from the big plate glass windows behind me make it difficult to see the monitor. This machine registers the Cross Punch and Power Kick, but not the Power Dig. After losing Accuracy Points for "missing" that punch, I substitute the Power Body instead. I still lose Accuracy Points, but I at least I can register Strikes and Power. The sensors for the Cross Punch seem to be on the fritz as well since I'm routinely stopping the machine with the warning buzzer and the You Are Punching Too Hard alert.

I'm happier with the Intermediate Follow Me program because it moves faster, is adjusted for harder punches (so it doesn't freeze up as often with the Warning Alert) and has more combinations. I'm dancing around to my tunes and in sync with the rhythm of the machine. Next time I think I'll switch my routine so that I warm up with 5 rounds of Beginner and finish with 9 rounds of Intermediate. D tells me (I chat with her in the locker room) that she's too bored to use the Beginner Avatar anymore. Now it's just Intermediate and a few Advanced rounds. The Advanced program runs the same as the Intermediate, but it's a lot quicker. Oh my! That sounds exciting!

Since both Step Mills are busy, I drop myself onto one of the LifeFitness recumbent bikes while I strip off my gloves and put my hoodie back on. Time for 20 minutes of LISS while I check email and read the online forum posts. Then I decide to do a full Mat Stretch since I don't recall really doing that for the past several days. A dozen wide-stance Dive Bomber Push Ups and a dozen regular stance. A 60-second plank (still hate them). Splits, upper and lower back stretches, and I'm done.

The gal who teaches several of the boot camp and zumba classes is holding court inside the locker room, giving diet advice while she blow dries her hair. She's nice enough, but loud. We're the same age but she gets her hair and nails and eyebrows done. And the Brazilian bikini wax. She looks good in clothes, and not bad naked, but the absolutely one part of her I hate are her arms. They look skinny and not in a good way. Not toned, but as if she's starting to shrivel.

Meanwhile, I rub my slightly pink knuckles and tiptoe off to the shower. The gym scale reads 112.8 lbs. It was 112.6 yesterday but I probably wasn't quite as sweaty. D tells me that Winter Storm Titan is going to hit Monday and where is my husband? Oh, he's fine because he's already in Boston and will be there until Wednesday. His work schedule absolutely sucks this year, with him being away more than ever before. My son will be very happy to have another day off from school although that will eat into his Spring break week. At least I have rock salt.

Thursday Cardio Workout

20 min Precor elliptical = 1.73 miles
partial Cage Stretch

Nexersys: 9 rounds Beginner Follow Me Female
  Accuracy 85% / Strikes 101% / Average Power 126%
Nexersys: 5 rounds Intermediate Follow Me Female
  Accuracy 81% / Strikes 101% / Average Power 108% 
I've improved a lot so I'm going to add rounds next week


20 min LISS recumbent bike = 1.23 miles

Mat Stretch with 2x12 DBPUs; 60-sec plank, splits & stretches

photos for actual stats:
Accuracy took a big hit this week because the sensors didn't register all Power Digs and some Power Kicks

I've made enough improvements for the machine to recommend that I add rounds so I will

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...