Thursday, February 20, 2014

Boxing As Cure For Soreness

I'd planned to get to the gym early today since my son has a PTO-sponsored "extra" gym class on Thursday mornings that I drive him to. But the 5 am recorded message from the school district announced yet another 2-hour delay. Well, at least I get to sleep in a bit. And then I had to get my car out of my husband's way because although he was headed to Boston for another 3-day round of system testing, we had jockeyed our cars last night to let me out first since he wasn't leaving until 9:30 and Extra Gym starts at 8 am. Except when there's a two-hour delay. Then the school bus comes at 10:34 am. So I didn't get to the gym until nearly 11 am. At least I got there.

Top: 20 min Precor elliptical
Bottom: 20 min Matrix StepMill
I won't lie. My hamstrings are a bit stiff. Not really sore though. I just don't move as quickly as I'd like. I get on the Precor and do my 20 minute warm up, gradually increasing my pace from 150 to 190 Strides Per Minute. For the last two minutes, I muscle through to maintain an over-200 SPM pace and for the most part I'm successful. A quick Cage Stretch and then I shed my hoodie, wrap my hands and pull on my pepto-pink kickboxing gloves. I'm thinking of buying new wraps though because even though they come two to a package, I've been using half a wrap for each hand. But as the gloves stretch out, there's more room to slide around inside, leading to knuckle burns. They don't hurt but they're a tad unsightly, not that I have pretty hands to begin with. But I don't need to develop calluses on my knuckles like some back alley enforcer.

Today's Selfie
My shoulders are tight and my elbows sore. I'm slow out of the gate and stumble around a bit. My lead (left) foot isn't registering kicks on the machine, and my accuracy rating plummets. It takes me a really long time to warm up even though sweat is running off my nose and dripping onto my lips. I'm punching too hard and the machine seems to be deducting accuracy points. When the 9 rounds are over for Beginner Follow Me, I take a swig of water, look around to make sure no one is waiting to use the system and then punch in another session. When I do warm up, in the middle of the 5-round Intermediate Follow Me program, suddenly I'm dancing to my tunes and landing blows and super-fast combinations. I feel really really good. Everything feels fluid. I feel simultaneously loose and powerful. I'd like to do more, but it's getting late. I've actually managed to punch "too hard" at this level, a first for me. Maybe because I'm getting more comfortable with these combinations. I'm tired but in a good way.

Instead, I clamber up to the Matrix Step Mill wearing my hoodie and lifting gloves. Level 4 isn't terribly fast but it's enough to make me feel my heart even though I'm just walking up the stairs. Sweat is pouring off my head so I'm glad I've pulled my hoodie back on. 20 minutes later, I've read all my emails and the online forum posts. The display says I've only burned 129 calories, but I know that's deceptive. Afterwards, I drop onto the Mat for three sets of crunches because I'm feeling a little guilty about neglecting abs. Done!

I'm completely drenched and feel great. The gym scale reads 113.8 lbs and I don't have time today to cross-check with my home scale. I need to get gas, see if there's any hope of purchasing road salt, get laundry going, pick up my son early from school so we can make a doctor's appointment for his annual checkup. I call the hardware store because I don't want to trek across town if there's nothing to purchase. "Tomorrow morning at 8 am we should be getting a delivery," the voice on the phone says. Well, alright now. If there's salt, I'll just be late to the gym again.

Cardio Thursday
20 min Precor elliptical = 1.73 miles
Cage Stretch
Nexersys: 9 rounds Follow Me Beginner Female
  Accuracy 87% / Strikes 105% / Average Power 129%
Nexersys: 5 rounds Follow Me Intermediate Female
  Accuracy 75% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 104%
20 min Matrix Stair Mill = 842 steps
3 x 50 crunches

photos for stats:

 9 rounds Beginner Follow Me

5 rounds Intermediate Follow Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...