Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Love-Hate Workout

This tank makes me seem
really big in the hips! Egads!
Wednesday's are Leg Day for me. I only do Legs once a week, although I do cardio every time I come to the gym. Leg Day is much more than just double cardio sets, although that's part of the fun. I'm a tad late today so of course Precor #1 and #3 are occupied. #2 has been out of commission for months. That leaves #4.

Number 4's a bit too smooth for my liking although now I understand why the old guys like to walk it. The pedals seem loose to the point of wobbling, but I have bigger concerns. My headphones aren't right today, the music is full of static and the left earbud only sporadically transmits anything pleasant. Sigh. Gonna be one of THOSE workouts.

In spite of the distraction, I do manage decent paces for both my sets. The gym isn't all that crowded but of course, the paper towel dispenser is out near the full spray bottle (for wiping down the equipment), and the spray bottle is empty near the full towel dispenser. Of course. I'm sure no one has told the Staff either, and I'm equally guilty because I don't want to interrupt my workout, nor do I want to seem like a nag, because I'm constantly mentioning things like, the light is out in the shower stall, there's no tp in the stall, the toilet seat's so loose I'm afraid I'm going to topple over. Well, you get the idea.

B ambushes me as I head towards the Smith rack. I didn't even realize she was here today because I didn't see her car this morning. She's off to do a million chores before Easter. Easter is a very serious affair around here. Feeling a bit festive myself, I donned my usual magenta shorts and fuchsia sports bra but swapped the clingy-when-wet black nylon tank for a bright lemony 100% cotton one. Unfortunately, it's so bright and thin that I can see perky little headlamps in the right light. Good thing I've ordered a few sale-priced padded sports bras from Old Navy. With my penlight (AA) figure, I'm not horribly concerned but still, it's best to be modest.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min #6 hill = 4.0 miles + 35 min #7 intervals = 4.38  Grand Total = 8.38 miles Yippeeee!
I develop the fain stirrings of a stitch with only 4 minutes left of the 5 minute cool down during the first set, but it passes and I'm able to grimace through the intervals without any great discomfort other than wrestling with my headphones.
Smith Squat: 12 @ bar / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
I've either got to up the weight or move to the actual squat rack because this is getting easy
Smith Straight-Legged Dead Lift: 12 @ bar / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
This still takes the wind out of me after a few sets but I definitely feel this in my butt, lower back and leg biceps
12 Pull Ups just for fun
Cage Stretch: the lack of kicking and side stretches is apparent in my stiffness during Mat Stretch
10 Pistol Squats each leg
I'm concentrating so hard on not falling over that I bust a sweat just doing this simple motion
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 12 @ 60 lbs
Doing these right after Pistol Squats makes my knees tired and it's not until the 3rd set that I'm able to complete each set without grimacing and massaging my lower quads.
Seated Leg Curls: 12 @ 90 lbs / 5 x 12 @ 97.5 lbs
Torso Twist machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch

The scale reads 109 lbs which at least is going in the right direction. Again, I haven't finished all my water so something's definitely changing in my physiology. I've been adding an egg to my oatmeal for breakfast but I'm still starving by the time I leave the gym. The Ensure goes down in 30 seconds if I give myself time to come up for air. I just wish it came in other flavors, like strawberry 'cause I'm getting sick of vanilla.

I read that General Petraeus runs 7 miles a day if he's not biking 25 miles. Damn! He's 60 years old. Now that's making age look good, even if he had a major lapse in moral judgment. Of course, being married and over the age of 40 doesn't mean we're dead either. Personally, I love looking at great bods. But it's hard to look without seeming interested. I find most people just aren't that interesting to talk to, so I prefer to look from afar. Maybe it's because I don't want precious workout time wasted with idle chatter.

I see The Mayor and a few other regulars today but most of them are done and gone soon after I arrive. Plus it's relatively nice outside. Who in their right mind would choose to spend it inside, in a gym? Mo arrives just as I'm about to leave. She hates working out these days but admits it's easier now that she's given up on cardio. My relationship with cardio has changed from something I only grudgingly did to something I look forward to (getting over and done with). I could never do cardio at the end of my workout because I wouldn't have the energy after weights. Plus, cardio helps warm me up so I can lift and stretch better and without injury.

I love working out. I hate cardio but I love the way cardio makes me feel. I love working out to my iPod, and hate it when technical issues interfere. It's a love-hate thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...