Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Shoveling as a Warm Up

I had to shovel my car out from 5 inches of wet, ice-encrusted snow this morning. Five inches doesn't seem like a lot until you start shoveling it, realizing that it's not light and fluffy, but dense and heavy, like beach sand. Luckily, my husband had to shovel his car out first so he did the bulk of the work. There was a two-hour school delay, so while my son leisurely ate breakfast while playing with the DVR, I shoveled important paths to the outdoor dog poop bucket, my car, and cleared the snow-plow residue out of our driveway. I didn't bust a sweat, but I was definitely awake by the time I got to the gym at 11 am.

The parking lot is sparsely populated, and as I park, I see R's car pull out and drive away. I don't see B's car so I'm surprised when I catch a glimpse of her running alongside M on the treadmills, something I've never seen before! Partnering with D has been really good for her because now she's working out with some enthusiasm again. The Precor's are all vacant and I have my pick so I'm psyched as well. I plug in my alternate mix which contains an odd medley of tunes from the flick Real Steel, some MeatLoaf, the electric guitar version of Pachelbel's Canon, as well as a medley of the Game of Thrones theme music, and of course, some pop to fill it all out.

Singing along with Meat Loaf while peddling furiously has me breathless and grinning simultaneously. Because I had breakfast several hours ago, and forgo drinking any water until after cardio, I don't develop any stitches. My lungs burn, my teeth stick to my lips and sweat burns my eyes, but I'm really happy when I step off the elliptical. I feel so good that I actually forget that I'm in the last seconds of the cool down -- my mind is telling me that I have another 5 minutes to go. It's one of my best 35 minute workouts yet!

Today's Total Workout:
New Grips!
35 min cardio = 4.17 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 /
3 x 10 @ 120 lbs
My new grips feel great cushioning my boney little fingers!
Lower Back Extensions: 25 @ 90 / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
There's hardly anyone here but the two items I'd use next are both being used by other people. It's a bit frustrating so I plop myself on the Toros machine to kill time, and work some abs.
Smith Bar Pull Ups: 12+2 / 10+2 / 8+2+2
I've been entertaining thoughts of trying one-arm pull ups for one or two reps but I'm not brave enough yet; it's a projected real-world scenario when hand/arm strength might become critical. Of course, it could totally exacerbate my elbow pain and give me shoulder pain as well. Not entirely sure that it'd be worth it.
Bent-Over Reverse Grip BB Rows (I'd thought of doing DB Rows but I've done them before and always worry that I'll throw myself out of alignment because I'm too flexible): 6 x 15 @ 75 lbs
Alternating DB Curls: 12 @ 20 lbs / 12 @ 22.5 lbs / 10, 8 @ 25 lbs
My left arm is tiring and unable to complete the wrist turn on the bicep contraction towards the end of the set. I don't want to be here all day so I skip Concentration Curls. I'd wanted to do a few Chin Ups but the Smith is occupied again.
Ab Crunch Station: 100 upper (Yes, I'm killing time and resting my forearms)
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 4 x 20 @ 40 lbs
ZZ is doing military presses a few feet away, and several HS boys come in to play on the free benches. Suddenly it feels really crowded in here.
Mat Stretch

I always intersperse some yoga and pilates movements to end the workout with muscles long and relaxed. I think this helps to prevent knots, soreness, stiffness. But truly, the most relaxing thing is the piping hot shower and great water pressure. The scale reads 108.4 and that's exactly what it was last Tuesday so everything's good! My shoulders and back aren't even sore! And tomorrow's Leg Day! Ah, so much to look forward to!

That's perhaps not quite as exciting as the mussels we ate for dinner last night: a 2 lb bag from the supermarket costs $5, steamed in a skillet containing half a head of smashed garlic, butter, olive oil and 3/4 cup of sake. The recipe calls for drinkable white wine but I don't drink white wine (wines are so hard to keep unless they're fortified). But sake keeps well and makes a perfectly good substitute. Even my son liked the mussels and whole wheat egg noodles we served them over. And he's picky!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...