Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Abbreviated Tuesday Workout

The snow and sleet forecast for last night didn't materialize so today's feeling very vernal. I have my son with me and a service man coming to the house at noon so I'm in a mad rush to work out, shower and return home.

Precor #3 is occupied so I check out #1. It doesn't reset so I kick the On/Off switch at the back of the base, and toe the plug to make sure it's completely seated. The machine resets and I hop on, rewarded with a steady, smooth, gliding motion. Hmmm. This feels suspiciously like #3 used to feel. 35 sweaty minutes later and I've just managed to make 4 miles. But I'm much happier about it.

Seated cable rows always seem heavy to start, but as I warm up the motion becomes easier. I can't get to the Smith to do Pull Ups so it's directly to Lower Back Extensions and then the Cage Stretch. I toy with the idea of doing close-grip Pull Ups there, but I'm worried that I'll ruin any chance of doing a full set of regular Pull Ups at the Smith. There's only so much my scrawny little forearms can handle.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 4.02 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 10 @ 120 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Smith Rack Pull Ups: 12+3 / 10+2 / 8+2
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 6 x 12 @ 80 lbs
DB Alternating Curls: 12 @ 20 lbs / 3 x 10 @ 25 lbs (my forearms are swollen and my elbow wraps are biting into my skin by the last set)
Pull Ups: 8+2 (I try to do as many sets as I can sneak into my workout these days regardless of whether it's a push, pull or leg day)
Torso Twist: 2 x 25
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 125
Mat Stretch (the stretches are good, but the left hamstring always seems a tad tighter, probably never quite recovered properly from an old college rugby injury)

I blow off Reverse Grip BB Curls as well today once I finish my back and bicep workout. Feeling a tad guilty about slacking, doing only a few sets of DB curls, but time isn't on my side. It's a trade off. I need to do some abs, and I always need to stretch out before showering. I see R, say Hi and ask how he's doing. He's grimacing through tricep press downs and I know it's not the humidity so something's up. He concedes that he went for another pain shot yesterday. I remember that they hurt like hell. I see Mo in the locker room as I'm changing and promise to introduce her to my son afterwards, which I do. He's shy when he meets new adults, although he was very popular as the only older kid with an iPad there.

The scale reads 110.6 lbs which is better than yesterday but still kind of heavy for me. Especially since I've left several ounces in my water bottle. I console myself with the fact that I've upped my weight in a lot of movements, I'm getting stronger, and my back is bigger. But I think I'd like bigger biceps. Oh, and leg biceps too. We'll see what develops! Besides, tomorrow's Leg Day! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...