Thursday, March 7, 2013

Killer Combo Workout

Because the Verizon tech didn't show up yesterday to install the fiber optic Fios system, I have to cancel tomorrow's gym routine. So today I've combined chest & back, delts and arms all together for a truly fun workout. Well, I did feel fairly pleasant, almost friendly, when I was done!

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio (Precor #1) hill #6 = 4.01 miles (This elliptical has more resistance than machine #3, even on the Level 1 setting; I also start to develop a stitch on my right side during the 28th minute so I slow my pace down to 185 SPM from the 195-200 I try to average.)
Free Bench Press (Hannibal Baggy Knees is at the Smith and I make a point of completely avoiding any interaction with him and most others; if the station's busy, I'll go do something else): 25 reps @ bar (45 lbs) / 12 @ 65 / 12 @ 85 lbs
I notice that the Smith is free now, but I don't want to give up my momentum on the Free Bench so I decide to try what I've seen Amazing Stretch and other guys do: I superset bench pressing with pull ups on the Smith rack. What they don't do is hold their legs straight out, forcing a core workout as well. The last few reps are done with hanging legs crossed at the ankles, but I don't swing or muscle up the bar. That feels too much like cheating to me. 
Bench 12 @ 95 lbs / 12+3 pull ups / 12 @ 95 / 11+2 pull ups / 12 @ 95 / 10+2 pull ups
My heart is pounding between sets but it feels very exciting instead of exhausting!
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Lateral Delt DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Inclined Rear DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 22.5 lbs
One-Arm Tricep DB Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Chin Ups (just for fun! this time I use a shoulder-width grip instead of the close grip and my forearms don't bother me like they did last time): 12+3
Alternating DB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Tricep Press Downs: 12  / 11 / 9 @ 50 lbs (yay! the triangle handle is in place and it's already set to 50 lbs. I sneak a look at M doing planks on the mat, because I suspect he's doing this much like the cobbler's shoe-making elf)
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs (in the mirror, I can see my front delts and pecs ripple when I curl the bar up so I wonder what my back looks like, 'cuz I can't see it, but that's all anyone else can see)
Mat Stretch
I purposely limited my back exercise today to just Pull Ups and Chin Ups while doing both biceps and triceps, chest, delts, abs and stretching. Because I go a bit heavy on the Seated Cable Row and the Bent Over BB Row, I think it's too soon to do those movements again.


I see R and his brother so I walk over to say Hi and to ask R what he thinks about DMSO2 (dimethyl sulfone). He's never heard of it, and tells me that he only uses ice and heat. Right, I say. But you're still going for that shot, eh? He smiles a big wide smile because he'd already said yesterday that he'd re-injured his back helping his parents move piles of wood flooring, and that he was going to get another pain shot. While we're chatting, I see the Mayor wander over, looking uncharacteristically disheveled and very disgruntled. I can tell he's dying to know what we're talking about, just from the way he's glaring at us. Probably because we're smiling. Jeez, you'd think we peed in his water bottle or something.

Snatch Clean & Jerk illustration
The Mayor's in need of an audience enthralled with his pontification and the gym's been fairly empty today so he's been forced to (gasp!) work out in silence. I do see a several girls working out, and at least one pair seems to be doing a version of the Clean and Jerk. I'm impressed. They also seem to be high school or college-age. Perhaps doing a bit of Cross-Fit as well since there seems to be a lot of jumping up and down. B made an appearance this morning with her workout , and there are other regulars hurrying to get their workouts done before Winter Storm Saturn hits us tonight.

The scale reads 107.8 lbs but I don't really believe that I've put on weight. When I get home, my own scale reads 105.6 lbs and that seems reasonable. I feel pretty good. I may enter the gym in a crabby mood, but I'm always smiling when I leave. Probably those endorphins. It'd better be, 'cuz what else would you get from a killer combo workout? That does remind me of an old old joke I heard in high school: "Oh whip me, beat me! 'Cuz it feels so good when you stop!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...