Monday, March 25, 2013

Give and Take

Back in the day!
It is with some dismay that I've just learned of Joe Weider's passing. Okay, he was 93 years old which is pretty darn old. But more than Jack LaLanne, Joe Weider is credited with popularizing bodybuilding, fitness and strength training via Arnold Schwarzenegger and a bevy of other larger than life figures, like Frank Zane, Cory Everson, Bev Francis.

We also have a wake to go to tonight so what's become clear lately is that there is always going to be give and take. People die, hopefully not too young and hopefully not unexpectedly, and babies are born, grow up and hopefully become wonderful adults. Endings become beginnings. It's a hard lesson to accept. But it seems applicable to everything. I just don't want to hear anyone say it's for the greater good. That's getting a bit old.

All that being said, I had an absolutely awful cardio session this morning, managing only 3.64 miles after 35 minutes on Precor #3. The elliptical didn't quite seem right today. The glide track felt gritty and I wondered as I panted through my set if someone hadn't swapped it for machine #1 or #4. #3's always been smooth as ice. Until today. I did get my pace up to 226 SPM, but it was difficult to keep it anywhere over 200 for any length of time. Mostly I panted like an asthmatic between 180 and 190 SPM. And I blame it on too much red wine this weekend (I couldn't resist bringing a bottle of Cupcake Red Velvet  to our friends' house), too much sugary snacks from Salinger's farm bakery, and not getting enough sleep. I know better, and still, it's hard to resist temptations when they coincide with social functions.

However, as horrible as cardio was this morning, I still bench pressed at the Smith machine. It didn't start out too promising, with my own little voice telling me that perhaps I should just do reps. Stubbornly, I worked through my standard progression, then stopped at the 9th rep on my first heavy set. My thumbs and wrists didn't feel quite right. Ignoring all the nay-saying little voices in my head, I changed my hand positions on the bar and knocked out two more full sets of 12 reps. It felt great!

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.64 miles BLEAH!
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 25 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 9, 12, 12 @ 145 lbs / 12 @ 125 / 25 @ 105 lbs The last set was hard and I had to pause for a few seconds during the 17th rep, and then again at the 20th rep. But it got done, and again it felt great!
Cage Stretch & Kicks & 10 Close-Grip Pull Ups (they seemed easier last week!)
Lateral DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 25 lbs
Torso Twist (I realize too late that I can't effectively do Tricep Press Downs afterwards because my obliques will be too tired to stabilize my core): 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Tricep French Press with BB: 3 x 15 @ 30 lbs
Mat Stretch: My calves were feeling very tight during the bench press sets so I'm pleasantly surprised that they're much looser when I do my final warm down on the mat. This consists of a lot of hamstring, calf and glute stretches, then lower and upper back stretches. I always include shoulders, neck, fingers and a bit of toe wiggling.

The scale reads a whopping 111.4 lbs but I was expecting that. I did drain my water bottle today, didn't sweat as profusely as I'd liked, but all in all, had a pretty good Monday workout. Tomorrow's workout will be abbreviated because not only will I have my son in the ChildCare Room but we have to meet a service rep at the house from between 12 and 4 pm. So it'll be a rush rush rush workout. But I think I can manage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...