Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Procrastination

Tasty right out of the can
I'm procrastinating right now. I should be working on itemizing all my taxable items for my meeting with our accountant tomorrow but instead, I'm writing this blog. And looking up Bumble Bee Sardines in Mustard because that's what I ate for lunch yesterday, and oddly, there's no nutritional label on the packaging. It is available on their website, but what if you don't own a computer, or have internet service, or (gasp) don't know how to enlist a search engine? I guess you go to the library and ask the librarian for help, or depend on your friends, or remain clueless. Today I think I'll try the sardines in Hot Sauce. I'd purchased several tins some years ago but haven't been brave enough until now to actually see what they taste like. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it was an article in Men's Health magazine that suggested eating sardines because they had a high calcium content, and that mustard was the best flavor. It was actually pretty good. I think I like it better than tuna, although I don't eat tuna, canned or fresh, very often.

When I got to the gym this morning, I thought there'd been a new holiday announced that I hadn't heard about because the parking lot was empty. And the gym looked pretty desolate as well. Perhaps it was all the rain. I actually beat B to the gym today, although she's been pretty happy, judging by the big grin she sports while working out with D. I had my choice of ellipticals and plugged in my regular cardio mix. I'm constantly doubting myself, wondering if I'll make it all the way through 30 minutes while my lungs are on fire, my lips feeling cracked and parched, sweat pooling in my ears and running off the tip of my nose and chin.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio #6 hill = 4.05 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 lbs / 12 @ 105 / 10, 10, 12 @ 120 lbs
The last set was the best, as if I'd needed all sets previously just to warm up!
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
It's all I can do to keep my toes from popping out of the footrest when I use this weight.
Cage Stretch & Kicks
In my peripheral vision, I see R glide in but his gait is odd, as if he's dragging his feet and I think he's probably in agony due to the humidity wreaking havoc on his back and all the broken bones he's had.
Pull Ups: 12+3 / 10+2 / 8+2
Damn, these ARE harder with the legs crossed and dangling under you because it takes extra effort not to swing your body as you pull up! But I miss the ab workout from holding legs perpendicular.
Bent-Over Reverse Grip BB Rows: 6 x 15 @ 70 lbs
I say Hi to R and B comes over to chat as well. I tell them both that Thursday's my birthday and damn they'd better wish me Happy Birthday. Then I tell him I've got 20 years on him, and B counters with "I've got 30!" as if we're placing bets. We tease R about being a "baby". He says he feels old. I know it's the humidity. B tells him that he's a handsome baby, him and his brother. He's in too much pain to really say anything but grimace a bit. 
I'm actually surprised to see him at the gym at all, but guys are so macho that's there's no telling them they should be home in bed. That's like telling them they should go home, curl up and die.
Seated Alternating DB Curls (I decide to see if I can handle heavier weights): 12 @ 20 lbs / 12 @ 22.5 lbs / 12 @ 25 lbs (it's not that bad but I only do one set because my forearms are so pumped the elbow braces are cutting into them) / 12 @ 22.5 lbs / 12 @ 20 lbs
No concentration curls today
I wind up sandwiched between Tall Pace and The Mayor while I'm doing curls. Since B blurted out my age, I notice odd looks between the older men. I think Tall Pace is positively grinning at me, but because I won't make eye contact, I'm not entirely certain. 
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 legs up / 1 x 50 legs on floor
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Pull Ups (just to see if I can do any at this point): 8+2 Pretty pathetic!
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 6 x 20 @ 40 lbs (still grimacing and noting that my left forearm feels a tad sore but only during this exercise)
Mat Stretch

Mo plops down on the mat and we chat for a bit before I head off to the locker room. She's developed tendonitis but keeps forgetting her elbow and wrist braces. She's also completely given up on cardio since bad knees and hips (loss of cartilage) prevent her from moving any faster than 2.7 on the treadmill. "I'm just wasting my time doing that because I can't get my heart rate up so I don't bust a sweat. I'd rather do weights in a circuit and get a bit of cardio benefit that way." She doesn't stay more than 45 minutes at the gym and I wonder if she's getting any benefit at all. I have to assume she's getting something out of it, but she's told me that she's been doing this for 40 years (she's 57) and she's done. She just can't work up the enthusiasm or the energy. She comes to the gym grudgingly, kicking and screaming the whole way. "But you're here!" I tell her brightly, hoping to encourage her. "Yep, I'm here, but I don't wanna be," she replies.

I don't really know enough to argue with her one way or the other. Perhaps I should finally get serious and go for the NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) certification. Again, I'm just procrastinating! I've also joined Zoetrope.com because as much as I enjoy writing, I never seem to do it unless I have a deadline (like a class submission). The gym scale reads 108.4 lbs which is in line for Tuesdays, and I head home because, damn, I've got a lot of things to do! But, be back tomorrow! Tomorrow, after all, is Leg Day and I love love love Leg Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...