Thursday, March 21, 2013

Abbreviated Push Day

Even though I need to abbreviate my workout today, I refuse to cut back on my cardio warm up. I'll cut the number of sets or reps, even actual exercises, but 30 minutes seems like a reasonable amount of time (and effort) to spend on something that stokes the metabolism, thoroughly warms the entire body, builds endurance and really gets those endorphins pumping!

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio #5 (for a change) = 4.08 miles
I don't drink any water at all before I start, and I still develop a slight stitch inside my right rib at the last minute and a half of the cool down! But at least my toes aren't twitching.
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 25 @ 95 lbs / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 10 @ 145 / 12 @ 125 / 25 @ 105 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks & 10 Neutral (palms facing) Close-Grip Pull Ups
Lateral DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Bent-Over DB Raises: 2 x 15 @ 20 lbs (because the Inclined Bench is occupied)
Inclined Seated Rear DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 25 lbs (yes, I upped the weight and 12 reps is all I can get for each set but the sets feel strong so I'm pleased)
Tricep Press Downs: 12, 12, 11 @ 50 lbs (the back of my arms are a tad sore but I'm pleased that I can actually get a decent 3 sets at this weight considering it's the 2nd time this week)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 100
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25
Mat Stretch
My stretch is so much better today than it was yesterday. Perhaps doing an hour of cardio is pushing too hard where leg bicep flexibility is concerned.

I see B today as she's about to leave. She's back to her old chatty self, interspersing her workouts with long garrulous conversations. Regulars like M, Fish Guy, MacGyver, Tall and Short Pace sporadically appear and disappear. One person I'm surprised not to see is a guy who spent 2 plus hours yesterday on the fancy stationery bike with the mountain bike terrain program. He's lost a lot of weight. I used to see him doing abs on one of those big blue exercise balls. This week he was on that simulated mountain bike for a good 2-3 hours each day he was here. Perhaps he's training for some event or race. It's kind of odd, but odd is what makes us all interesting!

The gym scale reads 107.8 lbs just as a woman calls out to me to ask if I'm looking to lose weight or gain muscle. I tell her that I'm just keeping track. She tells me I look great, and I thank her. I'm still toying with the idea of "one-arm pull ups", but I've got to work up to that. Doing a few Pull Ups every day at the Cage Stretch is probably one way to ensure I work those muscles. I want to move up from the 20 lbs to the 25 lbs dumbbells, but I don't think I can get much further benching unless I enlist someone to spot me. Egads! I'm going to have to ask someone for help. Ugh!

I'm out of the gym in time to high-tail it home, toss reeking gym clothes  into the washer, and rush back out to meet the school bus. Of course, it's late because the regular driver went home sick and the new driver doesn't know the route that well, and the snow plow decimated our road sign... Then off to the orthodontist, the market, and oh yeah, I promised my son we'd get a replacement for the Betta that passed away two weeks ago. Oh well, tomorrow's another day! A long leisurely day for Back and Biceps. Yippeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...