Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday Blues

It's Veteran's Day and there's no school today, which means I get to the gym later than usual because I've let my son sleep in for a bit. Still, the gym's not as crowded as I expected, and the childcare room has a dearth of school-age kids. The ellipticals and treadmills are sparsely populated as well, so I plug in my 45 minutes, knowing that today is going to suck because not only did we feast like BBQ-pigs this weekend, I imbibed several alcoholic beverages, and I still have my period. My face is puffy and my hair is too long. Yes, today is going to suck.

45 minutes gives me 4.93 miles and a decently warm sweaty feeling. Good enough to bench heavy today anyway. I manage to get 3 decent sets, happy that my back's not sliding across the bench as I press, or that my hamstrings haven't seized up. No, it's just my joints, my wrists and thumbs that complain. 10 reps and I knock the weight down by 20 lbs and do a set of 12. Then down another 20 lbs for another set. Then 10 lbs down. And I feel pretty damn good when I'm done. I feel invincible. I wish I felt like this all the time, but then I'd probably be insufferable.

Cage stretch and kicks, then back to dumbbells for shoulders. I think briefly of doing abs but the odd scab on my lower back nags at me, even though I'm fairly certain that it's the stupid tag inside my Levi's that's causing the problem. Delts are hard as always but I can't back down from the 20s. And I'm running out of time so I only do Tricep Extensions and Torso Twists before hitting the Mat Stretch. I haven't seen B or R today. There are a few other regulars I haven't seen since pre-Sandy. (I do see Mr Pajama Pants as I exit the gym with my son. Usually my son's presence is enough to squelch any untoward interest in me, but guys can be so weird and unpredictable.)

Today's Total Workout:
45 minutes = 4.93 miles
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 3 x 10 @ 145 lbs / 12 @ 125 / 12 @ 105 / 12 @ 95
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 5 x 12 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Torso Twists: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat stretch

The scale reads an unsurprising 110.6 lbs and I don't have time today to do a home scale reading. We're off to the orthodontist, lunch at the local pizzeria, shopping for a birthday gift, and then the pediatrician for a flu shot before finally heading home. It's already dusk by the time I pull into the driveway. I'm pooped, and there's still dinner to be made, the dog to be fed and walked, laundry (good grief!) and homework (both 2nd grade and Chinese school) to be tackled. Thankgod tomorrow's back and bi's. I'm looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...