Friday, November 9, 2012

Friday is Just as Good an Excuse as Any Other

I admit my workouts usually suck on Fridays, and not just because it's the 5th day in a row of a rather intensive exercise regime. Uncharacteristically, I had a strong (for me) alcoholic drink last night with dinner. It was the last glass of pre-mixed Mojito & Rum and I was feeling the need for an instant muscle-relaxant. One drink is all it takes for the knots in my traps and upper back to simmer down. And the reason I don't drink during the week is because it messes up my workout the next day.

So, I tell myself that if I get 4.5 miles today I should consider that good. I'm not smiling as the sweat starts to drip off my nose. But I do get 4.91 miles which is better than I expect. Again, the gym is uncharacteristically quiet, except for the women streaming out of class. Again, B and R aren't here. But Mr Pajama Pants is. Sigh.

It's Friday and I decide to take it easy. I'm sure you'll laugh at my version of taking it easy. At Seated Cable Rows, I go for reps and do 5 sets of 12 at 105 lbs instead of 3 sets of 6-8 at 120 lbs. I have to be so cautious with my right knee when I go heavy and I just can't do it today. Then 2 sets of Lower Back Extensions. At the Cage stretch, the kicks come easily, especially since we didn't make it to Kickboxing last night. But I decide that my "golfer's elbow" is complaining too much so I bag the chin ups. More Lower Back Extensions. Then to the Lat Pull Down machine.

Drat! I've just busted the zipper pull off my favorite sweat-laden royal-blue cotton hoodie and have to pull it off over my head instead. Damn. Well, after I wash it, I guess I'll take it to the tailor and get her to replace the zipper. It's not the first jacket I've replaced zippers on, and it won't be the last. Hulyas Tailoring is great and I highly recommend her to everyone.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 4.91 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 5 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Cage Stretch & kicks
Lower Back Extensions (again!): 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 / 4 x 12 @ 105 lbs (again, I'm having trouble hanging on to the bar)
Bent Over Barbell Rows: 6 x 15 @ 60 lbs
Torso Twists (I've got to cut down on this, it's making my waist wide again): 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Seated Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Concentration Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (by rep 8 I have to assist with the other hand)
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Lower Ab Kickouts: 150
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 4 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat Stretch

I see R out of the corner of my eye. I'd say Hi except he's chatting with M and I don't like to interrupt anyone, even to say Hi. M is one of B's favorite people. He's a retired cop and one of the gym rat regulars with a physique that shows it. But I'm not comfortable even saying Hi to him. There's something unsettling to me about him. B claims he's just a really really nice guy and that's fine with me. He's B's friend and I'm sure B's perfectly happy to keep it that way. I'm happy to comply.

The scale reads 107.4 lbs and I'm not unhappy with that. Menstrual cramps have twinged my lower abs sporadically all day today. But I don't have a backache so that's good. What I do have is an odd abrasion from either sit ups or kick outs. Bleah. But I'm very happy to now have two whole days to be a complete slug and not do one lick of exercise. The home scale reads: 105.8 lbs, 18.9% BF, 52.7 TBW, 38.5% muscle and 4.6 lbs bone. I would've thought that having my period would increase my TBW instead of BF but again, I'm not that concerned. It's something to puzzle over, but not too hard.

With all the storms though, I have been giving a lot more thought to purchasing a cardio machine for home use. I'd have to put it in our unheated garage though because our house is literally a converted summer bungalow that's already crowded for 3 people and their stuff and very furry dog. Since I really like the Precor 546 at the gym, I looked at the Precor website, as well as Treadmill Doctor, a purportedly unbiased company that repairs treadmills and elliptical equipment, and offers product reviews. The 546 is an old model and there are several refurbished ones on Amazon.com but really, am I going to buy something that I know for a fact can have grinding and thumping issues in the glide motion? I know that out of the 4 at Gold's Gym, only 2 move smoothly, 1 thumps and 1 feels like there's sand in the tract.

Unfortunately, the current model Precors that I like and can barely afford (EFX 5.25 - 5.31) seem to have an enormous stride lengths (20-24) which would be hard for me (at 4'11.5") to use. I'm trying to find something that both me and my husband (whose height of 5'11" makes this suitable for him) can use. I know people swear by their Concept2 Rowers but if gripping the bar/handle is an issue (like it is for me), then a cardio exercise machine that doesn't rely on hands is essential. I'll have to investigate further.

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried the Concept 2? It doesn't involve "gripping" the handle as much as "hooking" the handle. When I row, my hands are in what I would call a "half grip" or "light grip" (as opposed to a convulsive grip) position. My fingers are curled around the handle only just enough to keep it there while I pull on each stroke. My thumbs don't touch the handle. Another factor to consider is that the Concept 2 is very low maintenance, rarely requires repairs, when it does parts are cheap, and the company is great on customer service.

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...